mikeorb

Default Stucco repair help

I moved into a townhome and the HOA recently repaired some stucco
cracks with caulk. But the contractor simply painted over the caulk so
now the cracks/repairs are very evident. The stucco is very "popcorny"
and so the finish goes from stucco to flat calk back to stucco all over
the place and it looks terrible.

Is there some type of product/procedure anyone would recommend to match
the finish? Something to apply over the caulk before repainting?

Thanks,
-Mike

Punch

"mikeorb" wrote in message
ups.com...
I moved into a townhome and the HOA recently repaired some stucco
cracks with caulk. But the contractor simply painted over the caulk so
now the cracks/repairs are very evident. The stucco is very "popcorny"
and so the finish goes from stucco to flat calk back to stucco all over
the place and it looks terrible.

Is there some type of product/procedure anyone would recommend to match
the finish? Something to apply over the caulk before repainting?

Thanks,
-Mike

yep, its called stucco!

Norminn

Punch wrote:
"mikeorb" wrote in message
ups.com...

I moved into a townhome and the HOA recently repaired some stucco
cracks with caulk. But the contractor simply painted over the caulk so
now the cracks/repairs are very evident. The stucco is very "popcorny"
and so the finish goes from stucco to flat calk back to stucco all over
the place and it looks terrible.

Is there some type of product/procedure anyone would recommend to match
the finish? Something to apply over the caulk before repainting?

Thanks,
-Mike

yep, its called stucco!

Our condo is concrete block and stucco. Have no idea what type original
stucco was, as the building is about 40 years old. Prior to our last
paint job, there were many fine cracks in stucco. Our contractor used a
brushable caulk to cover fine cracks, and primed/painted over that.
None have reappeared. Hubby had started to grind out cracks, in
preparation for patching with concrete; painter told him it was not
necessary. I haven't noticed any place that the brushable has
diminished the surface texture.

Just before the paint job in 2001, hubby and I took out an old rusted
fire extinguisher box that was in the outside wall. We used a concrete
paver (just the right size) to use as part of the base of the recess in
the wall, used textured grout patch (DAP?) for "mortar" and to cover.
Half-assed technique, but it worked fine ) The textured grout patch
was similar to the old stucco finish texture, but I used a dry scrub
brush to dab into the wet patch (final coat)to give it more texture to
match the old stuff. I believe it was a latex based compound, and took
a lot of fiddling to build up the joint as it dried. It is exterior,
under roof, so doesn't get much weather. Need a statue of a naked greek
god or goddess to put in the recess )

G Henslee

TrollGuy wrote:
Only accredited union stucco installers should attempt to do ANY STUCCO
REPAIR. It may be illegal to even consider such repairs so check with a
licenced applicator before you try.

--

As usual - you're full of ****.
SteveB

TrollGuy wrote:
Only accredited union stucco installers should attempt to do ANY STUCCO
REPAIR. It may be illegal to even consider such repairs so check with a
licenced applicator before you try.

You're absolutely right! To find a licensed union stucco
installer/applicator, just go to your local bar. Look for the guy who looks
like he has been there three days. The one at the end of the bar that
sounds like he is speaking Norwegian.

That stucco is complicated intricate stuff, and should never be tried by an
amateur.

Steve ;-)

G Henslee

SteveB wrote:
TrollGuy wrote:

Only accredited union stucco installers should attempt to do ANY STUCCO
REPAIR. It may be illegal to even consider such repairs so check with a
licenced applicator before you try.

You're absolutely right! To find a licensed union stucco
installer/applicator, just go to your local bar. Look for the guy who looks
like he has been there three days. The one at the end of the bar that
sounds like he is speaking Norwegian.

That stucco is complicated intricate stuff, and should never be tried by an
amateur.

Steve ;-)

So you've met ole TrollGuy eh? ;-)

Refrigerator repair story with a happy ending ! wgd Home Repair 16 July 4th 05 07:40 PM
LeCroy Oscilloscope/ VME/ CAMAC/ NIM/ FASTBUS repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
Stucco repair wischmid Home Repair 3 January 20th 05 03:10 AM
stucco repair question Sligo Home Repair 3 January 27th 04 12:44 AM
What kind of contractor for repairing/painting stucco? Anne Home Repair 1 July 16th 03 07:37 PM