Default Hello to group and a few questions

Hi all,

New to this group, longtime Usenet junkie. I'm doing a few home improvement
projects on a house we just bought and wondered if maybe I could hang out
for a while and run some ideas by y'all. I currently have a powder room
that has a hand-done parquet floor (really nice floor done by Randy Yost, in
Houston, circa 1975). There is a separate closet for commode and shower,
where the floor has been destroyed by a slow steady leak in the toilet. I'm
thinking of redoing that part of the floor with a single piece of black
granite. It would only be about 3*6, and need just a single cutout for the
toilet drain. I don't intend to let the new toilet just sit there and leak,
but I'm just wondering if there are any issues with using a Granite floor
for a wettish area, and in a single piece?

Thanks for any advice.

~Bill

I was thinking about 1". Could I get away without a concrete board underlay
if its a single piece?

On 14-Jul-2005, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

but I'm just wondering if there are any issues with using
a Granite floor
for a wettish area, and in a single piece?

i'd really consider granite tiles. the only difference will
be a few grout lines. you'll save on cost, and weight, and
ease of installation, and if you ever happen to chip or
crack it you'll be glad it's a replaceable tile rather than
have to haul that whole slab up. Buy a few extra tiles and
keep them around and safe.

A bathroom floor isn't like a kitchen countertop. It will
experience significant dynamic loading over it's lifetime.
I don't know how well a granite slab will hold up to that.
Especially if the subfloor has any significant flexion to
it.

maybe the experts can tell you differently.

ml

Thanks for all the responses. To Evodawg's question about the leak, it was
leaking at the shutoff valve. The toilet was old and nasty, and we're
replacing it anyhow, so there should be no more leaks. The surface is
pretty stable since its just a two-by-four subfloor over the slab, which is
in good condition. The plywood floor is rotten from the leak, however, so I
may just replace it with 1/2 backer board. BTW, what is the protocol for
pictures on this board? Is there an a.b board that most people use, or just
post a link to pictures on my own website?

~Bill