Default Why remove only one layer of shingles.

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

can you even get the top layer off without damaging the bottom layer?

it would be silly to leave a layer on.

MLD

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

Never heard of such a proposal. No way that the first layer will survive
intact and thus be a good underlayment. Now is the time to improve/repair
water/ice dam, chimney flashing drip edge etc. Find another roofer, his one
is taking you for a ride.
MLD

Hopkins

The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle.

That's absurd. Find a new roofer.

PipeDown

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

The only reason I can think of is to save disposal cost and it might even
take more labor to avoid damaging the lower layer (impossible to say without
seeing and touching). You need to get this guy to elaborate his reasoning
and get a second opinion (from a real contractor not us hacks on Usenet).

Did you indicate a budget that he was trying to stay under?

Greg O

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

Stupidest idea I have heard in a long time! Strip the roof to the deck and
start fresh!
Greg

Abe

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

-------
As everyone else said, bad idea. You need a complete teardown,
replacement of any damaged/delaminated decking, and installation of
30# roofing felt (if shingle mfgr requires felt), and reflashing of
valleys etc. before laying down new shingles. If the roofer balks at
these requirements, find someone else in a hurry, you don't want this
guy touching your house.