DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why remove only one layer of shingles. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/113550-why-remove-only-one-layer-shingles.html)

[email protected] July 13th 05 09:50 PM

Why remove only one layer of shingles.

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

Charles Spitzer July 13th 05 10:30 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

can you even get the top layer off without damaging the bottom layer?

it would be silly to leave a layer on.

MLD July 13th 05 10:56 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

Never heard of such a proposal. No way that the first layer will survive
intact and thus be a good underlayment. Now is the time to improve/repair
water/ice dam, chimney flashing drip edge etc. Find another roofer, his one
is taking you for a ride.
MLD

Hopkins July 13th 05 11:49 PM

The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle.

That's absurd. Find a new roofer.

PipeDown July 13th 05 11:55 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

The only reason I can think of is to save disposal cost and it might even
take more labor to avoid damaging the lower layer (impossible to say without
seeing and touching). You need to get this guy to elaborate his reasoning
and get a second opinion (from a real contractor not us hacks on Usenet).

Did you indicate a budget that he was trying to stay under?

Vic Dura July 14th 05 12:39 AM

On 13 Jul 2005 13:50:37 -0700, in alt.home.repair Why remove only
one layer of shingles. wrote:

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

Very bad idea.

Remove everything down to the decking. You need to do that in order to
inspect the condition of the decking, and provide a good underlayment
for the new shingles. I would also install 30# felt under the new
shingles unless the mfg instructions preclude it.

Peter July 14th 05 02:03 AM

On 13 Jul 2005 13:50:37 -0700, wrote:

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

????? Are you sure that you understood the roofer correctly???

State of Maryland says that you can have a max of two layers of shingles
on roof. If you already have the two layers...it makes sense to remove
both of them and start with a single layer again. Never heard of anyone
removing just one layer...as the bottom one will be damaged no matter how
careful they are. This also gives you an
opportunity to inspect the panels, install new felt and flashing.

I would think that the only additional cost would be for hauling the
extra shingles away.

Greg O July 14th 05 02:59 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

Stupidest idea I have heard in a long time! Strip the roof to the deck and
start fresh!
Greg

Abe July 14th 05 03:09 AM

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

-------
As everyone else said, bad idea. You need a complete teardown,
replacement of any damaged/delaminated decking, and installation of
30# roofing felt (if shingle mfgr requires felt), and reflashing of
valleys etc. before laying down new shingles. If the roofer balks at
these requirements, find someone else in a hurry, you don't want this
guy touching your house.

k July 15th 05 02:17 AM

"Peter" wrote in message
On 13 Jul 2005 13:50:37 -0700, wrote:

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

What this sounds like is some kind of standard bid form, and it's probably
not what the price is based on. Call the roofer and ask for a price that
includes both layers. The price you have probably does, but contractors get
in trouble all the time when they get careless with those standard forms.

Bob G. July 15th 05 03:20 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:17:51 GMT, "k" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
On 13 Jul 2005 13:50:37 -0700, wrote:

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

=======================
My "guess" is that the bid price was to remove BOTH layers... I am not
a contractor but I have installed a few roofs and BOTH the time spend
and work involved in only removing the top layer would be excessive...

Bob.

Phisherman July 18th 05 03:35 AM

Personally, I'd have all the layers removed, including the tar paper,
to have the roof inspected. This will also remove a lot of weight.
Select quality shingles, especially if you plan on living there a long
time.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:17:51 GMT, "k" wrote:

.. .