JC

Default complete home renovation

I am considering making major renovations to my house--new carpets, new
floors, new windows, new kitchen, new bathrooms. My house is a 3-bedroom,
two kitchens, living room, and dining room. I know this is really broad, but
any idea how much this would cost?? a ballpark figure?? I live in NJ if that
is a factor.

And I am considering adding a bedroom--it would be an addition that would be
adding a floor to the house. The roof would need to be redone for that
area... generally how much would adding a bedroom cost?

Just need an idea what all this would cost. I'm living in a fixer-upper and
need to start fixing!!
Thanks.

JC

Tony Hwang

JC wrote:
I am considering making major renovations to my house--new carpets, new
floors, new windows, new kitchen, new bathrooms. My house is a 3-bedroom,
two kitchens, living room, and dining room. I know this is really broad, but
any idea how much this would cost?? a ballpark figure?? I live in NJ if that
is a factor.

And I am considering adding a bedroom--it would be an addition that would be
adding a floor to the house. The roof would need to be redone for that
area... generally how much would adding a bedroom cost?

Just need an idea what all this would cost. I'm living in a fixer-upper and
need to start fixing!!
Thanks.

JC

Hi,
Sky is the limit.
50K? 100.00 per square foot?
Tony
Edwin Pawlowski

"JC" wrote in message

Just need an idea what all this would cost. I'm living in a fixer-upper
and need to start fixing!!
Thanks.

How big is a box? How high is a cloud?

Too many variables. You can get away with $50,000 for the entire job using
cheap material, or you can spend $100,000 in just the kitchen. Floors can
be $1 a foot laminate or $50 marble. Light fixtures run from $10 to $500 or
more.

You really have to get a bit more serious and do some homework. What is the
present house worth? What do you want it to be worth when done? Consider
the neighborhood in this and what level of materials are worth using. If
you are in urban Camden you probably don't want to spend as much as if you
lived in Short Hills. How much can you afford to spend?

What plumbing and electrical or heating upgrades have to be done before
starting on renovation? Do you plan to do the work yourself or contract
it? Since you have two kitchens, is one kosher? What special requirements
would that have?

You really need to make a plan. It should include what you want to do, the
sequence of events, the material needed. Decorating stuff comes after
construction stuff, especially tear out.

Evodawg

JC wrote:
I am considering making major renovations to my house--new carpets, new
floors, new windows, new kitchen, new bathrooms. My house is a 3-bedroom,
two kitchens, living room, and dining room. I know this is really broad, but
any idea how much this would cost?? a ballpark figure?? I live in NJ if that
is a factor.

And I am considering adding a bedroom--it would be an addition that would be
adding a floor to the house. The roof would need to be redone for that
area... generally how much would adding a bedroom cost?

Just need an idea what all this would cost. I'm living in a fixer-upper and
need to start fixing!!
Thanks.

JC

My mom is an interior decorator in NJ Somerville to be exact. She
spent $40,000.00 on her kitchen and remember she gets stuff for less
than you can get it. She spent $20,000.00 on her bathroom. She lives
in a 200 year old English Tudor. She likes exspenive stuff. Her
kitchen faucet cost $900.00. She also has a number of craftsman she
can pick from that are more than willing to give her a deal cause
they know it will come back to them 10 fold. I've done bathrooms for
as little as $6,000.00 and as much as $22,000.00 I dig doing
bathrooms, kitchen I sub out the cabinets and counter top and will
usually do the tile, plumbing, electrical, and fixtures. All my
painting gets subed out, I hate to freakin paint!!!

Like someone said the skies the limit.

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
m Ransley

There is nothing like a good detailed question, so I will guess
2,470,000 should do you fine

Liz

"JC" wrote in message
I am considering making major renovations to my house--new carpets, new
floors, new windows, new kitchen, new bathrooms. My house is a 3-bedroom,
two kitchens, living room, and dining room. I know this is really broad,
but any idea how much this would cost?? a ballpark figure?? I live in NJ if
that is a factor.

And I am considering adding a bedroom--it would be an addition that would
be adding a floor to the house. The roof would need to be redone for that
area... generally how much would adding a bedroom cost?

Just need an idea what all this would cost. I'm living in a fixer-upper
and need to start fixing!!
Thanks.

JC

I'm in the Philly 'burbs, as is my son. Last year he had a bedroom and bath
added to his home, requiring raising the roof over his living and dining
rooms. Total cost was $80,000; however, he went with red oak hardwood
floors, a very large soaking tub, and a shower big enough for 10! In
February/March of this year I had a new kitchen installed (old one gutted
down to the studs and a wall removed), plus hardwood floors in kitchen,
dining room and living room. Total cost was $48,000. Based on these two
samples, I'd say you're going to have to spend about $300,000 or more, and
I'm sure my contractor would be happy to do the work for you!

Good luck!

Liz

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
two kitchens, living room, and a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=dining%20room" onmouseover="window.status='dining room'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;"dining room/a. I know this is really broad, but
any idea how much this would cost?? a ballpark figure?? I live in NJ if that
is a factor.

And I am considering adding a bedroom--it would be an addition that would be
adding a floor to the house. The roof would need to be redone for that
area... generally how much would adding a bedroom cost?

Just need an idea what all this would cost. I'm living in a fixer-upper and
need to start fixing!!
Thanks.

JC

Removed all of the kitchen and bath room and the living room (walls and floors on a slab). Took of the trusses to add a second floor, rewire the whole house and new pluming.
Second floor cost when done – new bath and two bedrooms (24’x22’) around $8000.00
First floor cost well be around $2000.00
Keep in mind I well be doing all the work and making all my cabinets, countertops ect….

2pyrs
Evodawg

2pyrs wrote:
JC Wrote:

[...]

You must be getting your materials at cost too. I can barely do a
bathroom for $8000.00. The fixtures alone cost $2000.00 - $3000.00
or more. Sink, tub, toilet, sink and bath faucets, lighting etc.

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"