Robert11

Default HD And Lowes For Roofs / Siding Work ? Do they Truly Stand Behind Guarantee ?

Hello:

Live outside of Boston.

Anyone have any experience with HD or Lowe's for house repairs like siding
or new roof work ?

Would be most interested in hearing your experiences with.

How good is their guarantee to "make it right" ?

Do they truly stand behind the work they farm out ?

Easy to work with, and have work done to your satisfaction, etc. ?

Prices ?

Thanks,
Bob

I would just go to a good local guy and see what they offer
you. Home Depot and Lowes both farm out their work to
subcontractors. Why the hell would I want my work farmed out
to the guy who bids the lowest for the job while they make
a profit off of basically doing nothing???

If you dont have any recommendations from other locals who do
siding work, go to a supply place and ask them if they were
going to do work on their own home, who would they use?

Doing a little research into the type and differences is siding
can make a real difference too. Just start doing searches on
the Internet and should find a fortune in information.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with HD or Lowe's for house repairs like siding
or new roof work ?

A woman at work had HD side the house. The salesman told them XXX (some
trim stuff IIRC) was included, but the crew was not going to do it. After a
couple of phone calls, it was done. Overall, she is satisfied with the
price, workmanship, has not had any warranty issues.

She had a few quotes and they were similar in price. I don't know the
material specifications though. IMO, you can do as well or better with a
local contractor with a good reputation.

Robert11 wrote:

Anyone have any experience with HD or Lowe's for house repairs
like siding or new roof work ?

Home Depot: Good carpet job, roofing contractor pushed very hard to
sell a $2,000 extra-cost warranty but did good work.

Lowe's: Will LIE, LIE, LIE and say the bath kitchen cabinet
unstallation meets industry standards even when the trim is installed
badly, an end panel doesn't match the cabinet fronts, and the customers
specifically approved chipboard construction when they specifically
wanted it avoided because it gradually sags from exposure to moisture.
Their corporate people will not help at all and will claim that idiot
brat store and district managers have final say over YOUR satisfaction.
Rip-off artists. It can be good to have a lawyer as a friend or
relative who can write threatening-sounding letters.

Whoever you use, be sure to go over every detail ahead of time (don't
hesitate to ask how every little thing will be done), and check the
work as it progresses because it's much better than letting the work be
completed and then going back to make corrections - for everybody.

All in One Service and Repair

Well, I am going to stick my foot in my mouth here. I have been in
construction for over 30 years, i also spent 5 years at home depot, and 2 at
lowes. They can brag all they want, but i know first hand of the number of
complaints that were given, basicly once they have you, and your money. they
send out a nice clean guy to look at the job. He may look real profesinal,
he may be, but i can gurantee he is not the one doing the work, he is likely
a store rep, or a company rep. He will try hard to add things you dont
realy need. He will in no way profit from this but his store gets the sales,
and in turn he will get a bonus in one form or another. He will go back to
the store and do the nubers and call the installer, the installer may and
may not look at the job. It is a cut and dry bid, allready aproved by the
stores corp. office. The corprate office has neg. prices with these
contractors to the point they cant make alot of money, so they have to
either cut corners, hire ilegals, or find extra thing that "have to be done"
to keep the warenty.
Now, i have seen good store managers and asst. managers bite the big one and
loose, in order to keep the customer happy, but that is a very long road and
very rare, The asst. managers and manager DO get a part of that sale, so
they realy dont want to loose money.
The answer to your ? is both are so huge, if you are not happy, it may be a
long battle, to get want you wanted, is it worth it. there are lots of local
contractors that would love the oputunity to do the work for you.
I was sucsefull for many years, based on a friend of a friend concept, word
of mouth, when you see a nice roof or siding job, ask who did it.
I hope this helps you and others in some way, email me if you would like to
know

All in One Service and Repair wrote:

I was sucsefull for many years, based on a friend of a friend concept, word
of mouth, when you see a nice roof or siding job, ask who did it.

I'd say this is the way to go, ask your neighbors. A realtor also told
me once to have roofwork done with permits and an inspection by the
city. Said the roofer wouldn't like it and would add on fees but that
it was the best way to get a guarantee it was done right.