Sans

Default Slate opinions

Hello group
I'd like to install slate tile on the entrance of the house (outside). The
tile store don't have slate and he didn't recommend it because the kids can
damage it easily and it's very hard to maintain. He said porcelain is a lot
better, maintenance free (of course, he sells that).
I don't know how much is BS and what's true. Can anybody give me some
opinions on slate? Home depot is selling it at 1.50/sf.
Thanks

Sans wrote:
Hello group
I'd like to install slate tile on the entrance of the house (outside). The
tile store don't have slate and he didn't recommend it because the kids can
damage it easily and it's very hard to maintain. He said porcelain is a lot
better, maintenance free (of course, he sells that).
I don't know how much is BS and what's true. Can anybody give me some
opinions on slate? Home depot is selling it at 1.50/sf.

Slate tile is great: except for the crap the HD has been selling.

Good slate lasts long and looks great, the only complaint I've had with it
is that it can be slippery when wet.

But the stuff that HD is currently offering up as slate that I've seen
barely qualifies as such: it's soft, dirty and prone to falling apart.
I'd gotten good slate tile from HD about 8 years ago, but lately it seems
to be really cheap crap.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.

To echo other posters, good quality slate is a long lasting material.
It has to be carefully set for full support.
We have a front walk made of slate & marble in checker board pattern.
It's about 3/4 inch thick.
Some of it has been around for 100 years more or less.
TB

Roger Taylor

Unfortunately much of what is sold as slate is shale, with "slaty cleavage",
which mirrors the look of true slate and fools customers, but is soft, and
will not last. True slate is a harder metamorphic rock , basically fully
cooked shale, that will hold up to practically anything, and one must take
care to select it at a reputable stone company, and ask to get references,
and installations they have used it in, then ask the owners about it. Slate
can be slippery when used outside. I have used it only as an interior mud
room and entryway. Porcelain can also be tricky when wet, too, so choose
carefully. We have used both brick and flagstone for exterior walks, and
both hold up well, and have good grip and drainage, if the brick is not
glazed.

"Sans" wrote in message
.. .
Hello group
I'd like to install slate tile on the entrance of the house (outside). The
tile store don't have slate and he didn't recommend it because the kids
can
damage it easily and it's very hard to maintain. He said porcelain is a
lot
better, maintenance free (of course, he sells that).
I don't know how much is BS and what's true. Can anybody give me some
opinions on slate? Home depot is selling it at 1.50/sf.
Thanks

Travis Jordan

Sans wrote:
Thanks for all the opinions.
How do I purchase good slate? by price, by brand? how do I know some
other tile store has the same one as HD?

I'd find a reputable tile (stone) store that carries slate. Tell 'em
what you need and let them help you select it. Then ask to see an
installation where the recommended slate has been installed for some
number of years in an application similar to yours. That should do it.
The HD slate separates and crumbles in a matter of months, not years,
especially in a wet environment.

PipeDown

I know lots of people don't like the HD slate but I have had good experience
with it so far. I installed 12" squares almost a year ago at my entry slab
and inside foyer and have not the least sign of wear anyplace in the
install. I got about 10% breakage from the box but that only meant
returning two boxes of 5 pcs each for exchange. At $1.29 SF I paid, you
can't find this material cheaper and you do get what you pay for as usual.

I cut about 1/3 of the pieces into 3" wide strips and found only the light
tan pieces to be too soft. The grey, reddish and mixed color pieces were as
hard as any slate I've ever seen (or sawed).

The consistency of the thickness and wider than normal (tile store)
variation in color were the main defects I noticed but the color was not a
problem for me . You can always select pieces one by one rather than
unopened boxes.

I think what you get from a tile store for 2x to 3x the cost ($2-$5 SF) is
more consistent color, thickness and fewer chips (corners and edge). You
get a generally better matched set of tiles and that spells quality in some
peoples eyes.

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Sans wrote:
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
| wrote:
| But the stuff that HD is currently offering up as slate that I've
seen
| barely qualifies as such: it's soft, dirty and prone to falling
apart.
| I'd gotten good slate tile from HD about 8 years ago, but lately it
| seems to be really cheap crap.
|
| Amen. My experience too. DO NOT put the HD slate outside. You'll
| regret it.

Thanks for all the opinions.
How do I purchase good slate? by price, by brand? how do I know some
other tile store has the same one as HD?

Stay clear of the Indian and Chinese slates like HD markets. Read this:
http://www.aldonchem.com/mt-slate.htm

Richard J Kinch

Sans writes:

Home depot is selling it at 1.50/sf.

That's a low grade import from India. If you want to use it, deal them all
out over a big area, and pick out the good ones, and box up the rest and
take them back for a refund. Very poor quality control out of the box. It
doesn't compare to Vermont slate, but it has held up for years immersed in
my swimming pool steps.
Sans

"PipeDown" wrote in message
. net...
|I know lots of people don't like the HD slate but I have had good
experience
| with it so far. I installed 12" squares almost a year ago at my entry
slab
| and inside foyer and have not the least sign of wear anyplace in the
| install. I got about 10% breakage from the box but that only meant
| returning two boxes of 5 pcs each for exchange. At $1.29 SF I paid, you
| can't find this material cheaper and you do get what you pay for as usual.
|
| I cut about 1/3 of the pieces into 3" wide strips and found only the light
| tan pieces to be too soft. The grey, reddish and mixed color pieces were
as
| hard as any slate I've ever seen (or sawed).
|
| The consistency of the thickness and wider than normal (tile store)
| variation in color were the main defects I noticed but the color was not a
| problem for me . You can always select pieces one by one rather than
| unopened boxes.
|
| I think what you get from a tile store for 2x to 3x the cost ($2-$5 SF) is
| more consistent color, thickness and fewer chips (corners and edge). You
| get a generally better matched set of tiles and that spells quality in
some
| peoples eyes.
|

| "G Henslee" wrote in message
| Sans wrote:
| "Travis Jordan" wrote in message
| . ..
| | wrote:
| | But the stuff that HD is currently offering up as slate that I've
| seen
| | barely qualifies as such: it's soft, dirty and prone to falling
| apart.
| | I'd gotten good slate tile from HD about 8 years ago, but lately it
| | seems to be really cheap crap.
| |
| | Amen. My experience too. DO NOT put the HD slate outside. You'll
| | regret it.
| |
| |

| Thanks for all the opinions.
| How do I purchase good slate? by price, by brand? how do I know some
| other tile store has the same one as HD?
|
| Stay clear of the Indian and Chinese slates like HD markets. Read this:

http://www.aldonchem.com/mt-slate.htm

Thank you very much for your opinions PipeDown and Richard J.
The point of using HD's is the price since I can't afford $5/sf. I will give
it a try
thanks again

G Henslee

Sans wrote:

| Thanks for all the opinions.
| How do I purchase good slate? by price, by brand? how do I know some
| other tile store has the same one as HD?
|
| Stay clear of the Indian and Chinese slates like HD markets. Read this:
| http://www.aldonchem.com/mt-slate.htm

Thank you very much for your opinions PipeDown and Richard J.
The point of using HD's is the price since I can't afford $5/sf. I will give
it a try
thanks again

I'm not Richard J or PipeDown and I don't play either one on TV.
PipeDown

try www.stonefinder.com

"Sans" wrote in message
.. .
Hello group
I'd like to install slate tile on the entrance of the house (outside). The
tile store don't have slate and he didn't recommend it because the kids
can
damage it easily and it's very hard to maintain. He said porcelain is a
lot
better, maintenance free (of course, he sells that).
I don't know how much is BS and what's true. Can anybody give me some
opinions on slate? Home depot is selling it at 1.50/sf.
Thanks

help, asphalt roof installed over slate Keith A. Schneider Home Ownership 10 June 18th 05 01:03 PM
OT - Christians defend GWB Cliff Metalworking 223 March 2nd 05 05:12 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Slate Roof Question Grur Home Repair 8 March 16th 04 10:56 AM
New roof; slate or tiled N. Thornton UK diy 0 October 26th 03 02:18 PM