PipeDown

I know lots of people don't like the HD slate but I have had good experience
with it so far. I installed 12" squares almost a year ago at my entry slab
and inside foyer and have not the least sign of wear anyplace in the
install. I got about 10% breakage from the box but that only meant
returning two boxes of 5 pcs each for exchange. At $1.29 SF I paid, you
can't find this material cheaper and you do get what you pay for as usual.

I cut about 1/3 of the pieces into 3" wide strips and found only the light
tan pieces to be too soft. The grey, reddish and mixed color pieces were as
hard as any slate I've ever seen (or sawed).

The consistency of the thickness and wider than normal (tile store)
variation in color were the main defects I noticed but the color was not a
problem for me . You can always select pieces one by one rather than
unopened boxes.

I think what you get from a tile store for 2x to 3x the cost ($2-$5 SF) is
more consistent color, thickness and fewer chips (corners and edge). You
get a generally better matched set of tiles and that spells quality in some
peoples eyes.

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Sans wrote:
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
| wrote:
| But the stuff that HD is currently offering up as slate that I've
seen
| barely qualifies as such: it's soft, dirty and prone to falling
apart.
| I'd gotten good slate tile from HD about 8 years ago, but lately it
| seems to be really cheap crap.
|
| Amen. My experience too. DO NOT put the HD slate outside. You'll
| regret it.

Thanks for all the opinions.
How do I purchase good slate? by price, by brand? how do I know some
other tile store has the same one as HD?

Stay clear of the Indian and Chinese slates like HD markets. Read this:
http://www.aldonchem.com/mt-slate.htm