toller

Default Dewalt DC980 torque control doesn't work

I just got a DC980. On medium and high speed the torque control works just
fine. On low, where you need it because that is screwdriver country, it
doesn't work.
I noticed that complaint on Amazon, but figured the person didn't know how
to use it.
Maybe we both don't know how to use it, or maybe it doesn't work.
Anyone with experience here?

toller wrote:
I just got a DC980. On medium and high speed the torque control works just
fine. On low, where you need it because that is screwdriver country, it
doesn't work.
I noticed that complaint on Amazon, but figured the person didn't know how
to use it.
Maybe we both don't know how to use it, or maybe it doesn't work.
Anyone with experience here?

On my DeWalt, the torque setting only work on the medium speed and not
on the high or low. It may not be defective, it may be the way it was
designed. Not sure of the reason, but perhaps the clutch is not built
to work under the high torque of low speed.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Not sure of the reason, but perhaps the clutch is not built
to work under the high torque of low speed.

That is when it is needed the most. I'd return it for a replacement or
other brand.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

Not sure of the reason, but perhaps the clutch is not built
to work under the high torque of low speed.

That is when it is needed the most. I'd return it for a replacement or
other brand.

On the contrary, I use the torque clutch when working with wood,
plaster, plastic, etc which hardly require the full torque of slow
spped. I have found little need for the clutch on the slow speed when
I am trying to bust a nut free, or drive a very long screw. The speed
ranges overlap a bit for this purpose, and as such the clutch works
well when I need it.