DonC

Default dehumidfier problem

I have a dehumidifier in my basement that has run faithfully for more than a
decade. This year it has been freezing up for the first time ever.

I removed the case and cleaned it thoroughly but it still freezes up.

I just noticed that the exhaust air is exiting the front of the unit. Since
the cooling coils are on the back side and the heat side coils are towards
the front, this seems backwards to me. Shouldn't it be blowing warm moist
air over the cooling coils?

It seems like the fan motor is running backwards. Am I wrong in thinking it
should be exhausting out the back? Is it possible for an AC fan motor to
suddenly begin running backwards?

HELP!

Thanks : )

Art

Don't even think about it any more. Decade old dehumidifiers are very
inefficient. Buy a new one for $200. I believe LG comes with a 5 year
parts and labor warranty but you should verify that.

"DonC" wrote in message
I have a dehumidifier in my basement that has run faithfully for more than
decade. This year it has been freezing up for the first time ever.

I removed the case and cleaned it thoroughly but it still freezes up.

I just noticed that the exhaust air is exiting the front of the unit.
Since
the cooling coils are on the back side and the heat side coils are towards
the front, this seems backwards to me. Shouldn't it be blowing warm moist
air over the cooling coils?

It seems like the fan motor is running backwards. Am I wrong in thinking
it
should be exhausting out the back? Is it possible for an AC fan motor to
suddenly begin running backwards?

HELP!

Thanks : )

Appliance Repair Aid

DonC wrote:
I have a dehumidifier in my basement that has run faithfully for more than a
decade. This year it has been freezing up for the first time ever.

I removed the case and cleaned it thoroughly but it still freezes up.

I just noticed that the exhaust air is exiting the front of the unit. Since
the cooling coils are on the back side and the heat side coils are towards
the front, this seems backwards to me. Shouldn't it be blowing warm moist
air over the cooling coils?

It seems like the fan motor is running backwards. Am I wrong in thinking it
should be exhausting out the back? Is it possible for an AC fan motor to
suddenly begin running backwards?

HELP!

Thanks : )

Hi,

I just noticed that the exhaust air is exiting the front of the unit. Since
the cooling coils are on the back side and the heat side coils are towards
the front

That is correct. Moisture from the air is left on the cooling coils and
the air comming out of the dehimidifier is slightly warmer than it went
in.

This year it has been freezing up for the first time ever.

Room temp too cool, dirty coils, slow air fan, low refrigerant charge (
leak ), system restriction are some likely/possible trouble makers.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

DonC

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

DonC wrote:
[...]

Over the "waste heat" coils first and then through the cooling cools last?
That's my unanswered question.

This year it has been freezing up for the first time ever.

Room is same temperature as in prior years; coils are freshly cleaned; fan
is not slow; no external system restrictions. That leaves internal
restrictions or low refrigerant charge. But it's making ice at a very
efficient rate : ) That's why I questioned the air flow.

Room temp too cool, dirty coils, slow air fan, low refrigerant charge (
leak ), system restriction are some likely/possible trouble makers.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Olaf

"DonC" wrote in message

snip

Over the "waste heat" coils first and then through the cooling cools last?
That's my unanswered question.

This would not be a good setup. The dehumidifier must cool the incoming air
to below the dew point at the time before the moisture will condense out of
the air. If you pre-heated the air it'd have to run longer and it'd pull
less moisture out of the air.

Warmer air isn't more moist than dry per se, it's less moist than it'd be if
it were cooler.

Your dehumidifier isn't running backward. It's getting old. If it did come
with anti-freeze protection perhaps whatever senses a freez-up condition
isn't working any more.

A new dehumidifier would be a wise investment. It'd use less electricity
when it is running, and it'd have to run less overall.

Appliance Repair Aid

**Over the "waste heat" coils first and then through the cooling cools
last?**

Other way around...

http://www.applianceaid.com/dehumidifier.html#how

**But it's making ice at a very efficient rate : )**

New style icemaker

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

DonC

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...
**Over the "waste heat" coils first and then through the cooling cools
last?**

Other way around...

http://www.applianceaid.com/dehumidifier.html#how

That's what i was looking for! Thanks

**But it's making ice at a very efficient rate : )**

New style icemaker

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Stormin Mormon

Warm air holds more moisture, so dumping ehat out the front is normal. After
all, the coils are designed to cool the air. Harder to cool warm air.

Sounds like it's low on freon, which will make it run at a lower temp. Very
few AC / refrig guys work on dehumidifiers. You may be able to find someone
who can juice it up. Some dehumidifiers come with a "freeze stat". Which
turns the power off if the coil freezes.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DonC" wrote in message
I have a dehumidifier in my basement that has run faithfully for more than a
decade. This year it has been freezing up for the first time ever.

I removed the case and cleaned it thoroughly but it still freezes up.

I just noticed that the exhaust air is exiting the front of the unit. Since
the cooling coils are on the back side and the heat side coils are towards
the front, this seems backwards to me. Shouldn't it be blowing warm moist
air over the cooling coils?

It seems like the fan motor is running backwards. Am I wrong in thinking it
should be exhausting out the back? Is it possible for an AC fan motor to
suddenly begin running backwards?

HELP!

Thanks : )

Stretch

You go over the cooling coils first to drop the air as far as possible
below it's dew point. Then you reheat it to get its temperature as far
as possible above the new dew point, now that moisture has been
removed.

Stretch