Appliance Repair Aid

DonC wrote:
I have a dehumidifier in my basement that has run faithfully for more than a
decade. This year it has been freezing up for the first time ever.

I removed the case and cleaned it thoroughly but it still freezes up.

I just noticed that the exhaust air is exiting the front of the unit. Since
the cooling coils are on the back side and the heat side coils are towards
the front, this seems backwards to me. Shouldn't it be blowing warm moist
air over the cooling coils?

It seems like the fan motor is running backwards. Am I wrong in thinking it
should be exhausting out the back? Is it possible for an AC fan motor to
suddenly begin running backwards?

HELP!

Thanks : )

Hi,

I just noticed that the exhaust air is exiting the front of the unit. Since
the cooling coils are on the back side and the heat side coils are towards
the front

That is correct. Moisture from the air is left on the cooling coils and
the air comming out of the dehimidifier is slightly warmer than it went
in.

This year it has been freezing up for the first time ever.

Room temp too cool, dirty coils, slow air fan, low refrigerant charge (
leak ), system restriction are some likely/possible trouble makers.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/