Choreboy

Default rust treatment

Many years ago I had good luck repainting rusty metal using naval jelly,
then primer, then enamel. Eight years ago I had good luck with POR 15,
but it was expenive.

I've read that Zero Rust is a cheaper paint and does a very good job.

I've also read that Picklex 20 is an excellent way to prepare a rusty
surface for painting. I've found only one source, which charges $31.50
a pint plus shipping.

Are Picklex 20 and Zero Rust the best ways to repaint rusty iron? Who
sells them?
G Henslee

Choreboy wrote:
Many years ago I had good luck repainting rusty metal using naval jelly,
then primer, then enamel. Eight years ago I had good luck with POR 15,
but it was expenive.

I've read that Zero Rust is a cheaper paint and does a very good job.

I've also read that Picklex 20 is an excellent way to prepare a rusty
surface for painting. I've found only one source, which charges $31.50
a pint plus shipping.

Are Picklex 20 and Zero Rust the best ways to repaint rusty iron? Who
sells them?

Both are indeed specialty items and won't be found at your common
suppliers. Maybe but doubtful, at a paint store that specializes in
auto body paints and/ or restoration materials.

Zero Rust is available from JC Whitney.

Picklex20 may only be available online
http://tinyurl.com/82cuo

However you can email them and ask. http://www.picklex20.com/contact1.htm

Pop

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Choreboy wrote:
[...]

"Extend" is great, and I'v e used it for year; buy mine
at a NAPA store or a big-orange when we travel south.
Available as spray or in cans, forget cost, but not
real expensive. It chemically modifies the rust to
become a coating which can then be top coated. You
have to remove all loose/scaling first of course.

HTH

Pop

Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Tool Rust Comment LRod Woodworking 9 April 3rd 05 11:26 PM
super heavy rust stain on concrete driveway Fred Home Repair 2 March 29th 05 05:32 PM
Painting exterior metal gate, sand blast, then rust treatment? andy everett Metalworking 11 June 12th 04 06:40 AM
Question about rust Mike in Mystic Woodworking 46 January 27th 04 04:03 AM