Stormin Mormon

Default Warm Rheem

Got a call from fellow, whose central AC isn't keeping the house cool.

Rheem system, probably 20 years old. Two ton capacity. I didn't see any
filter dryer along the line. Indoor coil might be captube, or orifice. I did
have one of the covers off, but didn't see anything that looked like an
orifice.

Didn't write down the pressures, but they were running maybe 65 and 250.
Suction line room temp.

I cranked in a couple pounds of juice, and the temp of the suction line
didn't change. Suction pressure went up, a bit, though.

Next day, not much more cooling. Went back and recovered the charge, and
weigh it in. Line set about 50 feet, and still not cooling. The liquid line
off the condensor is room temp. Outdoor temp about 85F. The chart he had
that came with the unit says to charge to 243# on the liquid side, and it
was close to that with a correct charge weight.

Anyhow, the distributer tubes from the orifice (or the captubes, if it's a
captube coil) remain warm, and the house remains warm.

So, what's the diagnosis? And what's the treatment?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Greg O

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

So, what's the diagnosis? And what's the treatment?

What was the subcooling? Superheat? Return air temp? OA temp? Txv?
Call someone that knows what they are doing?
Greg

G Henslee

Stormin Mormon wrote:

So, what's the diagnosis? And what's the treatment?

Quit entertaining the men folk in your 'ward', twinkletoes. And use Prep H.

--
Learn The Truth About The Mormon Cult
http://invitation.to/dance/cults-mormon.htm

TURTLE

[...]

this is Turtle.

Stormy you just did not give enough info to try to give a good guess at it.

1] Did you use fresh freon ?

2] What was the return and discharge temp of air inside ?

3] What was the pressure when you come back the next day ?

4] You did not say what type system it was , heat pump, gas heat regular cool,
or chill water system ?

5] After you said you weighted in a the correct charge you did not give the
suction pressure or say if the suction line was cool. What was the pressure
after you weighted it in ?

6] You did not give the temperature of inside the house during all this , What
was it ?

Now with this i could maybe give a guess.

Now Stormy , here is what you want me to say. It's a stopped up cap tube drier
which Rheem used 20+ years ago.

TURTLE

udarrell

I agree with Turtle, it sounds like a plugged screen prior to the
refrigerant control.
You should have gained access to the evaporator refrigerant control area to
see and feel what is going on.

This is only a wild guess as we have insufficient info to base any finding
on. - udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...ator-coil.html
=============
"TURTLE" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Stormin Mormon

this is Turtle.

Stormy you just did not give enough info to try to give a good guess at it.

1] Did you use fresh freon ?
CY: No.

2] What was the return and discharge temp of air inside ?
CY: Didn't measure. The suction line at the evaporator was warm, and also
the distributer tubes were warm.

3] What was the pressure when you come back the next day ?
CY: Shoulda took notes.

4] You did not say what type system it was , heat pump, gas heat regular
cool,
or chill water system ?
CY: Sorry. Gas heat, fan forced hot air. With the Rheem split system for
cooling only.

5] After you said you weighted in a the correct charge you did not give
the
suction pressure or say if the suction line was cool. What was the pressure
after you weighted it in ?
CY: Actually, much the same after weighing in a charge. Wish I'd wrote
things down. I remember the suction pressure looked reasonable -- when I
over charged it the first time, the pressure went up from 60 something to 80
something PSI on the suction side. The suction line at the condensing unit
has never been cold since I got there.

6] You did not give the temperature of inside the house during all this ,
What
was it ?
CY: Forgot to check. Sorry.

Now with this i could maybe give a guess.

Now Stormy , here is what you want me to say. It's a stopped up cap tube
drier
which Rheem used 20+ years ago.
CY: Without a filter drier in the liquid line, I was thinking some kind of
restriction in the coil. The distributer tubes (or cap tubes, not sure if
it's a captube or an orifice coil) were warm all through this. So, it seems
to be a problem of some kind in the evaporator. Seems odd that the pressures
would be OK at the condensing unit. However, it's possible that one or two
distributer tubes are clogged, and the other two are flooding. Makes me
wonder if it would cool on a massive under charge? At this point, the plan
of action is to see if he wants to go the expense of changing the
evaporator. Anyhow, I do thank you for your advice and counsell. Sure is
rough to get started in the business without some one to share ideas, and
talk about things.

TURTLE

TURTLE

[...]

yes stormy rheem did put a filter drier inside the evaperator coil just before
the cap tubes split off or out of. the Cap tubeholder is a liquid line filter
drier and can plug up just like a liquid line filter drier out at the condenser
unit. And Yes you can over flood the evaperator coil with just 2 of the 4 tubes
open and you will see this with the high head pressure your getting. Here is the
first place to look here.

TURTLE

Warm wires Brian UK diy 3 May 16th 05 09:21 AM
Warm air or radiators Ronald UK diy 18 April 25th 05 08:48 AM
SMC router takes several mins to warm up?? Eugen T Electronics Repair 4 May 23rd 04 04:03 PM
Warm Air Heating Neil Deinhardt UK diy 46 April 1st 04 11:38 PM