Alan Smithee

Default How Do I Cut 4 inch pipe

I'm going to open the floor of my basement to put in a sump pit. The weeping
tile system is connected directly to my sewer main. I know where it connects
(a y-connector was discovered near the main clean out by video inspection)
and that where I'm going to put the pit. Once I get the floor open and the
pipe excavated what's the best way to cut through the 4" weeping tile pipe?
I'm guessing it's probably cast iron. House was built in '66. Thx.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Alan Smithee wrote:
I'm going to open the floor of my basement to put in a sump pit. The weeping
tile system is connected directly to my sewer main. I know where it connects
(a y-connector was discovered near the main clean out by video inspection)
and that where I'm going to put the pit. Once I get the floor open and the
pipe excavated what's the best way to cut through the 4" weeping tile pipe?
I'm guessing it's probably cast iron. House was built in '66. Thx.

Why are you putting in a sump where you already have natural
gravitational drainage?

Does this Y have a backflow preventer so sewer clogs don't infest the
drain tiles?

at this point in your basement I would be surprised if the pipe is
weeping tile pipe. I would expect it to be regular pipe, but im no expert.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Alan Smithee

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:
I'm going to open the floor of my basement to put in a sump pit. The
weeping tile system is connected directly to my sewer main. I know
where it connects (a y-connector was discovered near the main clean
out by video inspection) and that where I'm going to put the pit.
Once I get the floor open and the pipe excavated what's the best way
to cut through the 4" weeping tile pipe? I'm guessing it's probably
cast iron. House was built in '66. Thx.

Why are you putting in a sump where you already have natural
gravitational drainage?

Does this Y have a backflow preventer so sewer clogs don't infest the
drain tiles?

at this point in your basement I would be surprised if the pipe is
weeping tile pipe. I would expect it to be regular pipe, but im no
expert.

If the main line plugs or backflows I'm in big trouble. I'm also putting in
a backflow valve inside the house and probably going to put in a shut off
valve outside the house. I'm going to cap the y-connector on the weeping
tile side and divert the weeping tile water into the pit and pump it onto
the yard.

Harry K

Alan Smithee wrote:
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:
[...]

To answer your question about how to cut it. Chain cutter - it wraps
around the pipe, keep tightening and the pipe snaps cleanly. You might
be able to borrow one from a plumber.

I agree with others. It is a bad idea.

Harry K

And in most areas, it's illegal to discharge sump pump water into the
sewer system. Sewer water must be treated and this increases the
amount of waste water that needs to be processed. The best way usually
is to discharge it outside, away from the house.

Alan Smithee

Harry K wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:
[...]

Chain cutter or I've just found out they make a hinged cutter for large
pipes. Thx. What was it that you thought was a bad idea though? My idea for
a sump, back flow valve and shut off or leaving it like it is?

JOHN D

In my old house the foundation drain was connected to the sewer and it did
back up when there was a lot of rain. It took 2 sump pumps to keep up with
it. A guy at the plumbing supply store suggested that may be my problem and
said there couldn't be that much ground water. I proved the connection by
pouring food coloring down the drain and seeing it come out in the sump.
After we dug it up and removed the sewer connection from the perimeter
drain, the flow into the sump pit was reduced to a small fraction of what
it was and was easily handled by 1 pump.

Harry K

Alan Smithee wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:
[...]

Sorry. I meant connectign to the sewer but now I see it already is
that way.

Harry K