Harry K

Alan Smithee wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:
I'm going to open the floor of my basement to put in a sump pit.
The weeping tile system is connected directly to my sewer main. I
know where it connects (a y-connector was discovered near the main
clean out by video inspection) and that where I'm going to put the
pit. Once I get the floor open and the pipe excavated what's the
best way to cut through the 4" weeping tile pipe? I'm guessing
it's probably cast iron. House was built in '66. Thx.

Why are you putting in a sump where you already have natural
gravitational drainage?

Does this Y have a backflow preventer so sewer clogs don't infest
the drain tiles?

at this point in your basement I would be surprised if the pipe is
weeping tile pipe. I would expect it to be regular pipe, but im no
expert.

If the main line plugs or backflows I'm in big trouble. I'm also
putting in a backflow valve inside the house and probably going to
put in a shut off valve outside the house. I'm going to cap the
y-connector on the weeping tile side and divert the weeping tile
water into the pit and pump it onto the yard.

To answer your question about how to cut it. Chain cutter - it wraps
around the pipe, keep tightening and the pipe snaps cleanly. You
might be able to borrow one from a plumber.

I agree with others. It is a bad idea.

Harry K

Chain cutter or I've just found out they make a hinged cutter for large
pipes. Thx. What was it that you thought was a bad idea though? My idea for
a sump, back flow valve and shut off or leaving it like it is?

Sorry. I meant connectign to the sewer but now I see it already is
that way.

Harry K