James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Throw Rugs over Sealed Saltillo Tile

Hiya Folks,
I've recently sealed around 1300 sq. ft. of saltillo tile with around 5
coats of Roval 1044 sealer (water based sealer). When I purchased the
sealer, the guys at the tile place warned that putting rugs down with
certain pads would be a problem. They said particularly the rubbery type
pads would end up leaving impressions in the sealer (literally would sink
into the sealer, stick, etc...). I've heard this is a problem from other
people as well but no one seems to be able to recommend a particular pad
that will work. We're looking to put a few throw rugs down in key
locations (kitchen sink area, stove area, etc...) and a couple area rugs
(6x9, 8x10) but just not sure what sort of pad to look for. Any ideas?
Thanks!
jlc

Luke

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:12:50 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

Hiya Folks,
I've recently sealed around 1300 sq. ft. of saltillo tile with around 5
coats of Roval 1044 sealer (water based sealer). When I purchased the
sealer, the guys at the tile place warned that putting rugs down with
certain pads would be a problem. They said particularly the rubbery type
pads would end up leaving impressions in the sealer (literally would sink
into the sealer, stick, etc...). I've heard this is a problem from other
people as well but no one seems to be able to recommend a particular pad
that will work. We're looking to put a few throw rugs down in key
locations (kitchen sink area, stove area, etc...) and a couple area rugs
(6x9, 8x10) but just not sure what sort of pad to look for. Any ideas?
Thanks!
jlc

On our saltillo tile floors we use PVC non-slip pads, sold at Bed Bath
& Beyond and other places, for small rugs, and a thicker rubber pad,
from an independent rug dealer, for larger rugs. We've had no problems
with these pads. We were warned off the cheaper very open weave
sort-of-orangy pads (sorry, can't describe them better as I don't
recall off hand what material they are). This was a general
recommendation from realtors, our home inspector, and neighbors. The
advice seemed to be sealer brand independent, more related to saltillo
in general and radiant floor heat, but FWIW we use Aqua Mix. HTH.

--
Luke
"Things aren't getting better; they're getting worse. The White House
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"cowboy" wrote in message
I would skip the pads altogether, unnecessary and troublesome

Hardly unnecessary unless you like visits to the hospital room! Our rugs
slide all over the place and need the pad to prevent that.
Cheers,
cc

Frugal non slip throw rugs? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 30th 05 01:50 AM
Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM