pony67

Default Window AC Condensate?

Hi, quick question. I have 3 window AC units, all different models and age.
One has a drain tube, and water regularly drains from it. It works great.

The other 2 have no such drain, and I never see any water coming from them.
Is this normal? One is a 2 year old Maytag, and it seems to run loud and not
as cool as you would expect. Not sure if its related. The manual mentions
nothing of leaving an angle to drain properly.

thanks
Bob

Stormin Mormon

Some window AC spray the condensate on the back coil. And the theory is that
the water evaporating helps cool the back coil.

So, "not dripping" can be normal.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pony67" wrote in message
Hi, quick question. I have 3 window AC units, all different models and age.
One has a drain tube, and water regularly drains from it. It works great.

The other 2 have no such drain, and I never see any water coming from them.
Is this normal? One is a 2 year old Maytag, and it seems to run loud and not
as cool as you would expect. Not sure if its related. The manual mentions
nothing of leaving an angle to drain properly.

thanks
Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"pony67" wrote in message
Hi, quick question. I have 3 window AC units, all different models and
age. One has a drain tube, and water regularly drains from it. It works
great.

The other 2 have no such drain, and I never see any water coming from
them. Is this normal? One is a 2 year old Maytag, and it seems to run loud
and not as cool as you would expect. Not sure if its related. The manual
mentions nothing of leaving an angle to drain properly.

thanks
Bob

The units should be mounted level or have just the slightest pitch to the
back. Inside there is a drain pan to catch the condensate. In most cases,
the fan has a slinger ring that tosses the water against the coil and aids
in cooling it. You should see no dripping. I have not seen an AC with a
drain tube for many years.

NEVER drill a hole in the bottom to drain the water. Many ACs have been
trashed by that.

As for the Maytag, there may be other issues. Fan motor bearings going,
poor design, restricted air flow, etc.

Joseph Meehan

pony67 wrote:
Hi, quick question. I have 3 window AC units, all different models
and age. One has a drain tube, and water regularly drains from it. It
works great.
The other 2 have no such drain, and I never see any water coming from
them. Is this normal? One is a 2 year old Maytag, and it seems to run
loud and not as cool as you would expect. Not sure if its related.
The manual mentions nothing of leaving an angle to drain properly.

thanks
Bob

I am going to guess that the one that does drip is the oldest of the
three. The two newer ones likely have a more modern and efficient design
that does not normally drip.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

pony67

Thanks for the replies!

Actually, the one with the drain is only 2 years old, its a Kenmore casement
style large 8000 BTU (I think). It actually runs the best and quietest of
the three.

The oldest is a Fedders, 1989

Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"pony67" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies!

Actually, the one with the drain is only 2 years old, its a Kenmore
casement style large 8000 BTU (I think). It actually runs the best and
quietest of the three.

The oldest is a Fedders, 1989

OK, the casement is made a bit differently so it may have a drain instead of
a fan slinger ring. Casement units are sort of stood on end.