Edwin Pawlowski

"pony67" wrote in message
Hi, quick question. I have 3 window AC units, all different models and
age. One has a drain tube, and water regularly drains from it. It works
great.

The other 2 have no such drain, and I never see any water coming from
them. Is this normal? One is a 2 year old Maytag, and it seems to run loud
and not as cool as you would expect. Not sure if its related. The manual
mentions nothing of leaving an angle to drain properly.

thanks
Bob

The units should be mounted level or have just the slightest pitch to the
back. Inside there is a drain pan to catch the condensate. In most cases,
the fan has a slinger ring that tosses the water against the coil and aids
in cooling it. You should see no dripping. I have not seen an AC with a
drain tube for many years.

NEVER drill a hole in the bottom to drain the water. Many ACs have been
trashed by that.

As for the Maytag, there may be other issues. Fan motor bearings going,
poor design, restricted air flow, etc.