Jack Sandweiss

Default Corsair AC unit squeaks loudly

I'm very naive on this issue. I just bought a home with a Corsair AC
which intermittently squeaks loudly (never when the AC person is here).
It always cools. It tends to squeak more often when just starting or
stopping, but sometimes continually. Sometimes, when it squeaks while
stopping, there is a "whoosh" sound at the end.

Is there any way I can tell if it's the blower fan or the compressor?
What will eventually happen in either case?

Jack
cowboy

whoosh is normal - not a problem
compressors don't "squeak"
but blower fans do, and so do condenser fans, when bearings are failing or
out of lubrication

"Jack Sandweiss" wrote in message
I'm very naive on this issue. I just bought a home with a Corsair AC
which intermittently squeaks loudly (never when the AC person is here). It
always cools. It tends to squeak more often when just starting or
stopping, but sometimes continually. Sometimes, when it squeaks while
stopping, there is a "whoosh" sound at the end.

Is there any way I can tell if it's the blower fan or the compressor? What
will eventually happen in either case?

Jack

Jack Sandweiss

cowboy wrote:

whoosh is normal - not a problem
compressors don't "squeak"
but blower fans do, and so do condenser fans, when bearings are failing or
out of lubrication

"Jack Sandweiss" wrote in message

I'm very naive on this issue. I just bought a home with a Corsair AC
which intermittently squeaks loudly (never when the AC person is here). It
always cools. It tends to squeak more often when just starting or
stopping, but sometimes continually. Sometimes, when it squeaks while
stopping, there is a "whoosh" sound at the end.

Is there any way I can tell if it's the blower fan or the compressor? What
will eventually happen in either case?

Jack

The unit is 4 years old. The blower fan is "self-lubricating" if this
helps. Where is the "condenser fan"? Would that be in the attic or the
unit outside?

Jack
cowboy

The unit is 4 years old. The blower fan is "self-lubricating" if this
helps. Where is the "condenser fan"? Would that be in the attic or the
unit outside?

Jack

outside

the BIG fan, usually on the top of the unit

HvacTech2

Hi Jack, hope you are having a nice day

On 20-Jun-05 At About 11:17:38, Jack Sandweiss wrote to All
Subject: Corsair AC unit squeaks loudly

JS From: Jack Sandweiss

JS I'm very naive on this issue. I just bought a home with a Corsair AC
JS which intermittently squeaks loudly (never when the AC person is
JS here).

This could be one of several things. it could be a motor or it could be an
internal compressor relief etc...

JS It always cools. It tends to squeak more often when just
JS starting or stopping, but sometimes continually. Sometimes, when it
JS squeaks while stopping, there is a "whoosh" sound at the end.

This is ok if it is a heat pump. if it isn't a heat pump this is leaniung
towards a bad compressor.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "I couldn't find the remote control to the remote control."- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Jack Sandweiss

Jack Sandweiss wrote:
I'm very naive on this issue. I just bought a home with a Corsair AC
which intermittently squeaks loudly (never when the AC person is here).
It always cools. It tends to squeak more often when just starting or
stopping, but sometimes continually. Sometimes, when it squeaks while
stopping, there is a "whoosh" sound at the end.

Is there any way I can tell if it's the blower fan or the compressor?
What will eventually happen in either case?

Jack

I've received two somewhat contradictory answers. Can anyone reconcile them?

Jack
TURTLE

"Jack Sandweiss" wrote in message
I'm very naive on this issue. I just bought a home with a Corsair AC which
intermittently squeaks loudly (never when the AC person is here). It always
cools. It tends to squeak more often when just starting or stopping, but
sometimes continually. Sometimes, when it squeaks while stopping, there is a
"whoosh" sound at the end.

Is there any way I can tell if it's the blower fan or the compressor? What
will eventually happen in either case?

Jack

This is Turtle.

Corsaire was the original old name for Rheem up till the early 1960. Then it was
change to Rheem Manufatoring co. . then in the late 1990's Rheem went back to
making the Corsaire brand as a 4 th brand to sell. Rheem , Ruud, WeatherKing,
and Corseaire .

If it is the old model Corseaire from the 50's you really need to replace it but
if not oil the motor for it has oil holes on the fan motor.

If it is the newer model made in the 1990's and 2000's it don't have oil holes
and you need to just change the motor out. Now the check to see because the New
Corseaire condensers have a 5 year warranty on all parts like the Rheem
equipment.

Also I'm not sure they make the Corseaire in the years 05 or 04 but will check
to see. I can be off on my years for time gets away from me.

So before closing out here. I would Oil the motor and check the bearing for
slack.

TURTLE

Jack Sandweiss

TURTLE wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for the replys. This house was built in 2001, and it has a
"self-lubricating" fan motor.

If I can be certain, that it's NOT the compressor, I could have the fan
motor replaced for around $300, and would do that. We are not the
original owners, so any guarantee would probably not apply. Is there
any way to rule out a compressor problem?

Jack
Stretch

Jack,

The Whoosh is the reversing valve of the heat pump changing from
cooling position to heating position & is normal. The squeak is most
likely the outdoor (condensor) fan motor. It could be a cabinet
squeak, but not likely. I have never heard a hermetic (Tin Can)
compressor make that kind of noise (Squeak). Try oiling the outdoor
motor if it has ports. Use 20 or 30 grade non-detergent motor oil. If
you use detergent motor oil, eventually the oil evaporates, leaving the
detergent to lubricate the motor, which it won't. But of course that
will take several years.

The blower motor refers to the motor that moves air through the ducts.

Hope this helps

Stretch

Jack Sandweiss

Stretch wrote:
Jack,

The Whoosh is the reversing valve of the heat pump changing from
cooling position to heating position & is normal. The squeak is most
likely the outdoor (condensor) fan motor. It could be a cabinet
squeak, but not likely. I have never heard a hermetic (Tin Can)
compressor make that kind of noise (Squeak). Try oiling the outdoor
motor if it has ports. Use 20 or 30 grade non-detergent motor oil. If
you use detergent motor oil, eventually the oil evaporates, leaving the
detergent to lubricate the motor, which it won't. But of course that
will take several years.

The blower motor refers to the motor that moves air through the ducts.

Hope this helps

Stretch

Yes, Stretch, this helps a lot. The outdoor motor does not have ports,
so I will probably have it replaced. You have helped greatly with
definitions.

Jack

Jack Sandweiss

Stretch wrote:
Jack,

The Whoosh is the reversing valve of the heat pump changing from
cooling position to heating position & is normal. The squeak is most
likely the outdoor (condensor) fan motor. It could be a cabinet
squeak, but not likely. I have never heard a hermetic (Tin Can)
compressor make that kind of noise (Squeak). Try oiling the outdoor
motor if it has ports. Use 20 or 30 grade non-detergent motor oil. If
you use detergent motor oil, eventually the oil evaporates, leaving the
detergent to lubricate the motor, which it won't. But of course that
will take several years.

The blower motor refers to the motor that moves air through the ducts.

Hope this helps

Stretch

It is now squealing almost constantly and intermittently "whooshing".
The whooshing is no longer present only when I turn it off.
Question---If the squealing is associated with reduced rpm's of the
condenser fan, could that reduction bring about the whooshing? It still
appears to cool just fine, but is very noisy, and would wake up the
neighborhood if I had it on at night. I'll probably just have the fan
replaced and see if that fixes it, but am I risking further damage if I
continue to run it this way until I can have the job done?

Jack
HvacTech2

Hi Jack, hope you are having a nice day

On 25-Jun-05 At About 10:27:18, Jack Sandweiss wrote to All
Subject: Corsair AC unit squeaks loudly---new symptoms

JS From: Jack Sandweiss

JS It is now squealing almost constantly and intermittently "whooshing".
JS The whooshing is no longer present only when I turn it off.
JS Question---If the squealing is associated with reduced rpm's of the
JS condenser fan, could that reduction bring about the whooshing?
JS It still appears to cool just fine, but is very noisy, and would
JS wake up the neighborhood if I had it on at night. I'll probably
JS just have the fan replaced and see if that fixes it, but am I
JS risking further damage if I continue to run it this way until I can
JS have the job done?

Is this a heat pump?

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "Bad news, Dad. Your polls are way down." -- Calvin

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Eric Houkal

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:27:18 -0700, Jack Sandweiss
wrote:

I answer most questions by private e-mail. and nothing ****es me off
more than to go to the trouble of typing out an answer and then being
told that the security features of the person requesting help make it
impossible to send said mail. I hope your e-mail will still be secure
when the pressure relief valve in your compressor finally fails due to
continued opening and you have to replace the whole unit.