Duane Bozarth

Default For the anti-Craftsman crowd... :)

Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.
G Henslee

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Great! Now you can spend the money you saved not having to buy a new
pair on grammer, english and punctuation lessons

Craftsman still sucks...

Duane Bozarth

G Henslee wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Great! Now you can spend the money you saved not having to buy a new
pair on grammer, english and punctuation lessons

That would be "grammar"...
Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Hand tools and power tools are completely different in quality. Even the
hand tools have slipped. I have a set of wrenches that are 40 years old and
they are superior to the ones made in the past ten or so years.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Iceberg" wrote in message
You should spend some of your money on a dictionary. I can't find

"grammer"
in my dictionary.

Grammer retard to the cos bout 15 yars go.

Thus afer werkin mosa her lif at teh poses office .

--

SVL

G Henslee

Duane Bozarth wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Great! Now you can spend the money you saved not having to buy a new
pair on grammer, english and punctuation lessons

That would be "grammar"...

Apparently I need a speelchecker
PrecisionMachinisT

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Hand tools and power tools are completely different in quality. Even the
hand tools have slipped. I have a set of wrenches that are 40 years old

and
they are superior to the ones made in the past ten or so years.

http://www.danaher.com/

[
Danaher Tool Group and Matco®, enjoy a leading share position in the
multi-billion dollar mechanics hand tool market.

The Hand Tool Group is growing substantially faster than the industry growth
rate, driving growth through geographic expansion and share gains, as well
as innovative new products that improve safety, strength, speed and access.
Danaher is committed to deliver customer-driven new product innovation
through user-preferred brands such as, Armstrong®, Matco®, Sears Craftsman®,
AllenTM, KD-Tools®, Holo-Krome®, NAPA®, and SATA.

]

--

SVL

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Hand tools and power tools are completely different in quality. Even the
hand tools have slipped. I have a set of wrenches that are 40 years old and
they are superior to the ones made in the past ten or so years.

Only time and use will tell for sure w/ these, of course, but initially,
the "fit 'n finish" appears to be nearly up to the old pair. I was
mostly pleased w/ the (unasked for, specifically) mail delivery not
requiring another trip and more than a little surprised there was no
included invoive for shipping or, assuming they knew at the time they
were to be shipped direct, no authorization for shipping requested from
the catalog store.

I agree wholeheartedly w/ power tools, however and have none since 70's
vintage at latest...

Virtually all hand tools are of roughly that time period or earlier, as
well so I can't really judge whether there's any real difference in an
open end wrench set, say...
RicodJour

Iceberg wrote:
You should spend some of your money on a dictionary. I can't find "grammer"
in my dictionary.

Try the phone book. You can also find him on reruns of Cheers and
Frasier.

PhotoMan

Great! Now you can spend the money you saved not having to buy a new
pair on grammer, english and punctuation lessons

That would be "grammar"...

Apparently I need a speelchecker

How about lessons on capitalization? The word 'English' is supposed to be
capitalized.

Stormin Mormon

My not liking Shears is their policy of making off-spec parts. So you can't
get parts through the usual suppliers.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

G Henslee

PhotoMan wrote:
Great! Now you can spend the money you saved not having to buy a new
pair on grammer, english and punctuation lessons

That would be "grammar"...

Apparently I need a speelchecker

How about lessons on capitalization? The word 'English' is supposed to be
capitalized.

How 'bout this FlotoMan... http://tinyurl.com/3dg
Duane Bozarth

Stormin Mormon wrote:

My not liking Shears is their policy of making off-spec parts. So you can't
get parts through the usual suppliers.

So you expect to get JD parts from New Holland?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

My not liking Shears is their policy of making off-spec parts. So you
can't
get parts through the usual suppliers.

So you expect to get JD parts from New Holland?

You can get an awful lot of the bearing, seals, fasteners, etc from any good
supply house. Not always so easy from Sears branded equipment.

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

My not liking Shears is their policy of making off-spec parts. So you
can't
get parts through the usual suppliers.

So you expect to get JD parts from New Holland?

You can get an awful lot of the bearing, seals, fasteners, etc from any good
supply house. Not always so easy from Sears branded equipment.

Perhaps, perhaps not...I don't have anything Craftsman of recent vintage
but I replaced bearings in an old 6" Craftsman jointer once and in a
couple of hand drills and the lower bearing in the drill press just that
way...

I've also had a lot of difficulty in finding bearings for other things
such as P-C sander w/o going back to P-C, so I don't think it's a Sears
"policy" at all.

IMO, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...
John Willis

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:13:00 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
scribbled this interesting note:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

My not liking Shears is their policy of making off-spec parts. So you
can't
get parts through the usual suppliers.

So you expect to get JD parts from New Holland?

You can get an awful lot of the bearing, seals, fasteners, etc from any good
supply house. Not always so easy from Sears branded equipment.

We have a Sears concrete mixer. A while back the electrical switch
failed on it. Having a factory Sears repair center not more than a
mile from our house, I went up there to see if they could replace it.
The switch was in a rubber housing (water resistant). They could find
the part, and if it had still been available (listed as NLA) it would
have been about $150.00. So I cut open the rubber housing to see what
the actual switch looked like. I took it out, went to the local mom &
pop hardware store (yes, we a fortunate enough to have a few of those
still around) and found an exact replacement switch for under $5.00.
Just had to fit it back into the rubber housing and seal it back up
with a urethane sealer (NP-1 in this case.)

I spent far less than $145.00 worth of time fixing the problem. Sears
will hold you up on some repairs. Local hardware stores can be your
friend if you know what to look for!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

I've also had a lot of difficulty in finding bearings for other things
such as P-C sander w/o going back to P-C, so I don't think it's a Sears
"policy" at all.

IMO, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...

Sears is not the only one. I wont buy Ryobi either for the same reason
(they make a lot of Craftsman tools too) No matter what the brand, spare
parts are a big markup. If you can find the same pat through industrial
supply houses, they are going to be far cheaper than the same item with the
"genuine XXX brand" sticker on them.

I needed a hydraulic pump for a machine at work. I called the manufacturer
and they wanted $5400, but would give us a 10% discount. Found the same
pump from a hydraulics supply house for $1200. Very common practice.

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

I've also had a lot of difficulty in finding bearings for other things
such as P-C sander w/o going back to P-C, so I don't think it's a Sears
"policy" at all.

IMO, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...

Sears is not the only one. I wont buy Ryobi either for the same reason
(they make a lot of Craftsman tools too) No matter what the brand, spare
parts are a big markup. If you can find the same pat through industrial
supply houses, they are going to be far cheaper than the same item with the
"genuine XXX brand" sticker on them.

I needed a hydraulic pump for a machine at work. I called the manufacturer
and they wanted $5400, but would give us a 10% discount. Found the same
pump from a hydraulics supply house for $1200. Very common practice.

I have no argument that distributor parts are less expensive in general
than OEM, nor do I have any lack of experience in using same. The point
is, Ryobi/Craftsman/whoever aren't making these bearings, etc.,
themsleves, they're buying from the same manufacturers as are
JD/Case-IH/Delta. Whether a particular bearing is available open stock
has more to do w/ sheer volume than any planned obsolescence or attempt
at controlling spare patrs availability.

I had a heck of a time getting a replacement rear wheel bearing for the
old '59 38-series Chevy truck a few years ago when needed replacement
owing to some water having collected in rear end and pitted them
severely. The OEM were Timken, but the particular style is no longer
used in new vehicles and numbers aren't there to continue to produce
it. Finally found some "new old stock", but it took a couple of months
looking.

Small bearings, for example, of the type in many hand tools just are not
"common enough" to make for good markets for replacement--
Charlie Bress

"John Willis" wrote in message
[...]

Many years ago I had snow blower that used an internal toothed gear as a
speed reducer. When I went to B-S for the replacement I was bent out of
shape over the price. I bitched about it to my neighbor who worked for an
appliance manufacturer. He told to figure repair parts sold for about ten
times the cost of manufacture. The high cost is related (at least in part)
to the mfgr having to hold the part in inventory, tying up the money in the
hope that someday someone would want it. And eventually it got sold or
discarded and then became NLA.

Of course if you are looking for an industry standard part such as a
bearing, switch, belt etc. you have better choices.

Charlie

Pop

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Duane Bozarth wrote:
Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's
pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr,
putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected,
didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog,
store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later
prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as
the originals.

Great! Now you can spend the money you saved not
having to buy a new pair on grammer, english and
punctuation lessons

Craftsman still sucks...

And so do you with that non-response.

Jeff Wisnia

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Amongst my tools there's a pair of diagonal cutting pliers with a notch
like that in the jaws, "EDM"d into them by my cutting a lamp cord that
had somehow plugged itself back in ..... I know I'd unplugged it first.

It's good for stripping wire. G

I just know I'm not alone....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

equalizer

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:59:07 -0700, G Henslee wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Great! Now you can spend the money you saved not having to buy a new
pair on grammer, english and punctuation lessons

There should be a period at the end of the above sentence.

Craftsman still sucks...

equalizer

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:22:05 -0700, G Henslee wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Great! Now you can spend the money you saved not having to buy a new
pair on grammer, english and punctuation lessons

That would be "grammar"...

Apparently I need a speelchecker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There should be a period at the end of the above sentence.
G Henslee

Poop wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Craftsman still sucks...

And so do you with that non-response.

Blow me, Poop...

Stormin Mormon

I'd like to be able to use Tecumseh lawn mower parts on a lawn mower with a
Tecumseh engine.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon wrote:

My not liking Shears is their policy of making off-spec parts. So you

can't
get parts through the usual suppliers.

So you expect to get JD parts from New Holland?

Eric

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Hadr roughly 20-year old pair linesman's pliers...hired hand chose to
use rhem to try to cut #10 steel fencing wahr, putting nice round hole
in cutting edge..

Took 'em into local catalog store--as expected, didn't have 'em in
stock. Looked up present equivalent in catalog, store placed repair
order and the new ones showed up a few days later prepaid via US
Mail...and the new pair seems as solid, USA-made, as the originals.

Well, i havnt read the rest of this thread, but i can speak from experience,
Craftsman hand tools are decent high quality tools.
Eric

Edwin Pawlowski

"Eric" wrote in message

Well, i havnt read the rest of this thread, but i can speak from
experience,
Craftsman hand tools are decent high quality tools.
Eric

Decent - yes
Great - no
They used to be better, but like most things they have been made cheaper
than they used to be.

G Henslee

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Eric" wrote in message

Well, i havnt read the rest of this thread, but i can speak from
experience,
Craftsman hand tools are decent high quality tools.
Eric

Decent - yes
Great - no
They used to be better, but like most things they have been made cheaper
than they used to be.

Too bad discussing this tired subject 3 times a week can't make'm any
better...