Martin

Default Thinset mixing drill recommendations

Hi,

I am looking for a recommendation for a mixing drill for thinset. the tool
will be used only for home renovation - no commercial use. So far, from
what I've been reading, there seems to be one opinion to get on high
ampergae drills (something like Milwaukee 300-20 wiht 8.0amp seems to be the
best), and/or double-triple gear reduction drills being more important
(possibly lower amps). What is more important ? Any recommendations on
specific drills from own experience?
Thanks.
m.

SQLit

"Martin" wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking for a recommendation for a mixing drill for thinset. the

tool
will be used only for home renovation - no commercial use. So far, from
what I've been reading, there seems to be one opinion to get on high
ampergae drills (something like Milwaukee 300-20 wiht 8.0amp seems to be

the
best), and/or double-triple gear reduction drills being more important
(possibly lower amps). What is more important ? Any recommendations on
specific drills from own experience?
Thanks.
m.

Most any half inch chuck drill will do. I use the Milwaukee D handle drill
because I can hold on to the drill with both hands. I tried my HoleHawg
once. To heavy and to slow on low speed.
http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/mi101mavsrdd.html

for home use this one is a bunch cheaper

siralfred

My most recent experience for home use is limited to a Black & Decker
1/2" that broke after only a few uses. Since you mention Milwaukee it
appears that expense is not an issue, so I'd say any DeWalt or Makita
will serve you well. Even Sears' Craftsman will do if you're on a
budget after all. I've mixed plenty of mortar and joint compound, and
the speed doesn't really matter. Just start with water and add the
mortar-mix so you don't get dry clumps on the bottom.

Mikepier

I just went through tiling my den. My regular drill burned out. So I
purchased a heavy duty Dewalt drill for about $160 at Home Depot. It
did the job great. Thinset is very hard to mix unless you have a good
commercial type drill. After I was done with it I returned the drill
and exchanged it for a regular drill I can use around the house.

On 18-Jun-2005, "Mikepier" wrote:

After I was done with it I returned the drill
and exchanged it for a regular drill I can use around the house.

Let's see. You bought an item from HD, used it, were happy with an
apparently perfectly functioning tool, and then returned it.
Anyone else see a problem with this?

This is what rental tools are for.

Dan C

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:26:19 +0000, kzinNOSPAM99 wrote:

After I was done with it I returned the drill
and exchanged it for a regular drill I can use around the house.

Let's see. You bought an item from HD, used it, were happy with an
apparently perfectly functioning tool, and then returned it.
Anyone else see a problem with this?

Yup, I do. The word "asshole" comes to mind.

Linux Registered User #327951

Mikepier

Let's see. You bought an item from HD, used it, were happy with an
apparently perfectly functioning tool, and then returned it.
Anyone else see a problem with this?

Apparantly HD did not have a problem with it. I only needed the drill
for a one-time job. I could not use the drill for any home projects
because it was so big. So I just exchanged it for a drill I can use. If
I rented it it would cost more.
I don't write the return/exchange policies, I only abide by them.

Yup, I do. The word "asshole" comes to mind.

Good comeback, Dan.

On 18-Jun-2005, "Mikepier" wrote:

I don't write the return/exchange policies, I only abide by them.

Remarkable, but I guess I can't fault you there.
I wonder if HD knows it runs what amounts to a library type system for power
tools. I guess they must and just don't care. I don't buy power tools (or
many tools at all for that matter) from HD and this just supports my
decision not to.
Tony Hwang

Mikepier wrote:

Let's see. You bought an item from HD, used it, were happy with an
apparently perfectly functioning tool, and then returned it.
Anyone else see a problem with this?

Apparantly HD did not have a problem with it. I only needed the drill
for a one-time job. I could not use the drill for any home projects
because it was so big. So I just exchanged it for a drill I can use. If
I rented it it would cost more.
I don't write the return/exchange policies, I only abide by them.

Yup, I do. The word "asshole" comes to mind.

Good comeback, Dan.

Hi,
Remind me of a fat lady who samples sausage links by the chunks in super
market. I know there are woman who buy fancy dress for an occasion to
wear it once and return it for full refund. Dress has wrinkles, sweat
stains, so on. I hope people like that sleep well in the night. Last
week I got few rolls of quarters from my bank. A roll contained 38
quarters and two nickels. All kinds of lowly sub human every where.
Tony

Dan C

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:32:11 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

Let's see. You bought an item from HD, used it, were happy with an
apparently perfectly functioning tool, and then returned it.
Anyone else see a problem with this?

Apparantly HD did not have a problem with it. I only needed the drill
for a one-time job. I could not use the drill for any home projects
because it was so big. So I just exchanged it for a drill I can use. If
I rented it it would cost more.

You're a sorry, ignorant piece of ****. Simple as that. STFU.

Linux Registered User #327951

Mikepier

I must say Dan, I am impressed. Were you beaten up as a kid? Did you
have a lot of friends in school?That would explain your comments.

No

Milwaukee makes great drills. I own 4 or 5. One is an ancient 3/4" all steel
and chrome behemoth. Design wise sort of like the #1854. You can thread a
piece of pipe into it for an extra handle! Its low speed but tons of torque.
I have the previous version of the model 300. Mine requires a key on the
standard chuck but has the quicklock cord and all metal chuck like the 302.
I use it when my cordless' batteries just do not cut it or I need more
power.
"Martin" wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking for a recommendation for a mixing drill for thinset. the
tool will be used only for home renovation - no commercial use. So far,
from what I've been reading, there seems to be one opinion to get on high
ampergae drills (something like Milwaukee 300-20 wiht 8.0amp seems to be
the best), and/or double-triple gear reduction drills being more important
(possibly lower amps). What is more important ? Any recommendations on
specific drills from own experience?
Thanks.
m.

Dan C

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:12:36 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

I must say Dan, I am impressed.

I don't doubt it.

Were you beaten up as a kid?

No.

Did you have a lot of friends in school?

Yes.

That would explain your comments.

What would? Oh, you mean your despicable behavior? Yes indeed.
You're a low-life, and I think you know it.

Linux Registered User #327951

TomKan

I'll bet when a family member dies, he rents the casket.

G Henslee

No wrote:

see below - topposting corrected

"Martin" wrote in message

[...]

That old sucker will flip you over twice if it ever gets a hold of your
shirt sleeve or gets caought in your work..
Sylvan Butler

On 18 Jun 2005 09:32:11 -0700, Mikepier wrote:
Apparantly HD did not have a problem with it.

So.

I only needed the drill
for a one-time job. I could not use the drill for any home projects
because it was so big. So I just exchanged it for a drill I can use. If
I rented it it would cost more.
I don't write the return/exchange policies, I only abide by them.

You take unethical advantage of them.

Yup, I do. The word "asshole" comes to mind.

Good comeback, Dan.

Yeah, I'd use scum. As in, "you have the morals of pond scum."

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Sylvan Butler

On 19 Jun 2005 13:33:03 -0700, TomKan wrote:
I'll bet when a family member dies, he rents the casket.

I can hear it now... Rent a casket?? What for? They are dead, what do
I want with them now?

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Mikepier

Yeah, I'd use scum. As in, "you have the morals of pond scum."

And I thought the guys in alt.hvac were a bunch of assholes.

Look at it this way, you are NOT alone. Home Depot has changed
many of their policies and will continue to due to because of people
like you. It cannot sell the item as new anymore because its not.
So off it goes to the discounted section. Is that cool? Nope, it just
means that they have to increase prices to compensate the losses.

What does it mean to me? Interesting, it means that I have to pay
higher prices and when it comes down to me returning something, they'll
give me a bunch of ****. I only return items that are broken (and get
another
of the same) or are still sealed in their original packaging (never
used)
If I buy hardware its going to be for something that I want to keep and
use in the future.

If your going to do a simple one shot job, buy a cheap drill or just
rent
one and abuse the hell out of it. Drills are pretty damn cheap.

Depending on how much you use it, I would suggest that you bargain hunt
for an old 1/2 Drill. For the average homeowner buying an expensive
drill that's going to be used a handful amount of times really isnt
worth it. Renting might be another option if you are going to do the
job in a day or two.

When I mixed up thinset I used a Milwakee 1/2 drill (14.4 volts) on the
low speed
with high torque. It worked fine for alittle while but eventually the
transmission crapped out on it.... OOOPS! Had it fixed and its all
better.

I got a cheap corded drill from a garage sale that I can beat up just
for
this job.

Dan C

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:32:44 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

Yeah, I'd use scum. As in, "you have the morals of pond scum."

And I thought the guys in alt.hvac were a bunch of assholes.

How many people does it take telling you the same thing, before you
realize that you are the asshole. Your ethics and morals are clearly
lacking, and you're the kind of dip**** that people would like to get
their hands on just to have the fun of beating your ass. Go bother some
other group of people, you ignorant little worm.

Linux Registered User #327951

Bo Williams

Mikepier wrote:

Apparantly HD did not have a problem with it. I only needed the drill
for a one-time job.

Were you forthcoming with Home Depot about this? What did you say when
they asked you why you were returning it?

[...]
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
No

Yep - Doesn't spin very fast but nuthen will stop it if you keep your finger
on the trigger!

I also have a newer variety Milwaukee right angle drill. Was hogging out
some joists for some plumbing. Using one of their self feeding 2 1/4"
forstner like bits. The bit hit a nail or some such thing and caused the bit
to stop. The drill kept going, it wrenched my hand and slammed the drill
into a finger. The slamming of my finger between the drill and the floor
caused my finger to split open. It required 8 stitches to close it up. No
broken bones but a lot of bruising. I did finish my hole before I got
stitched so it wasn't THAT bad.