the swisswatchguy

Rod Speed wrote:

How about a cite on the chemistry of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

Rod Speed

I am nobody wrote

Speaking or wrist watches, what do others consider to be features of the
"perfect" watch?

I dont bother with them anymore, I get the time from the
cellphone in the rare situation where I care about the time.

Here's my personal criteria:

Light weight- I don't prefer a heavy watch
Rugged case and band- I wear mine 24/7
Metallic Link band- easy on and off, no water problems like leather
Sapphire crystal for scratch resistance
Analog- I'm old and I have to think too much to use digital time
Day, Date- (see above- grin)
Quartz crystal accuracy- even a cheap quartz watch is more
accurate than most mechanical
Self energizing- no batteries to fool with
Water resistant to at least 100'- if it's lower than that
and I'm attached, it doesn't matter. This covers the pool,
spa and shower, for me.
Visible all night long without pressing any button

What this all boils down to is my Seiko Kinetic Titanium
watch with the Illuminator face. Being Titanium, the watch
and band are rugged, light and easy to take off or put on.
The analog watch is driven by a Quartz movement for
accuracy, and the charge is maintained by an actual
generator in the watch- like a perpetual mechanical watch.
The entire face is lighted all night, with the hands visible
by the backlighting. The watch was $450 in the late 90's
and is now about $300 in St. Maarten or St. Thomas.

The drawback to this is that it's not a showy watch, but at
least the Titanium case and band have some gold plated areas
that look great. I got mine about 1997 or so, as I recall,
and it has been working great ever since.

Rod Speed

the swisswatchguy wrote
Rod Speed wrote

How about a cite on the chemistry of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

Useless on what chemical is used on the watch hands and dots.

And mechanical watches are complete dinosaurs anyway.

Rod Speed wrote:

And mechanical watches are complete dinosaurs anyway.

you seem pretty much afraid of what makes mankind tick: soon you shall
wish to replace your heart with a pump, your kidneys with a filter and
your brains with a computer and reach for the skies: good luck!

Michael Wolf wrote:

I'm afraid to ask - how do you "melt" a crystal.

plexiglass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plexiglass and many others you
can find with google

sapphire crystal: look for thread "sapphire glass types" April 11-14,
2005

Rod Speed wrote:
Just your pathetic little drug crazed fantasy.

- "The dumbest people I know are those who know it all." - Malcolm
Forbes

zog

Honest John wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Unlikely that thats in a watch to make the hands glow"

Then what substance is in "Tritium tubes" that make several makes of watches
hands glow ????

Rod Speed is a moron, just plonk him.
RAM^3

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Honest John wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Honest John wrote
wrote

whatever those "t's" mean.

Those Ts simply refer to the luminous substance used in the watch to
make the hands and dots "glow in the dark". I believe the Ts stand
for Tritium, the amount of Tritium used is above a certain industry
established limit for this slightly radioactive substance.

Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, the one after deuterium.

Unlikely that thats in a watch to make the hands glow.

Then what substance is in "Tritium tubes" that make
several makes of watches hands glow ????

Those are actually glass vials, and it isnt
really that practical to do the 'dots' that way.

Oh, really? G

You'd be well advised to do a "tiny" bit of research on the commercial use
of Tritium: quite a number of companies use "dots" on their products,
especially in the armaments field.

Beretta, for example. VBG

Frank Adam

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:30:48 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

the swisswatchguy wrote
Rod Speed wrote

How about a cite on the chemistry of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

Useless on what chemical is used on the watch hands and dots.
And mechanical watches are complete dinosaurs anyway.

ROTFLMAO!
Ad hominem directed at a watch !?
You have clearly evolved, Rod..

--

Regards, Frank
Rod Speed

Frank Adam wrote
Rod Speed wrote
the swisswatchguy wrote
Rod Speed wrote

How about a cite on the chemistry of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

Useless on what chemical is used on the watch hands and dots.
And mechanical watches are complete dinosaurs anyway.

ROTFLMAO!

Pathetic, really.

Ad hominem directed at a watch !?

Nope.

You have clearly evolved, Rod..

Pathetic, really.

Frank Adam

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:56:16 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

You have clearly evolved, Rod..

Pathetic, really.

Nah, i'll just call you Rod.

--

Regards, Frank
Tony Hwang

Scott wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Scott,

I see you normally hang out on rec.scuba so you probably wouldn't think
of wearing a Rolex watch because you need other features in a diving
watch, which I can agree with. But, I do think your concerns deserve
addressing.

First off, this water resistant Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust
chronometer was no where near ten thousand dollars in cost. That may be
the case (even more actually) for a gold Rolex; but this DateJust is
stainless steel and gold and it only cost me about $1800, used (more
than a decade ago). Since it's working again, polished up, I could
probably get that much for it (based in input I see today) on the open
market, so, at least it held its value (albeit not above inflation) in
the intervening years.

Why would anyone buy a two thousand dollar watch is still a valid
question.

Did you ever buy something just because it was well made?
Did you ever buy something to last forever (your lifetime as the
measure)?
Did you ever buy something because you thought it would be maintenance
free?

If not, you'll never understand why anyone could pay thousands of
dollars for a watch when a ten dollar Casio tells time better. For that
matter, why buy a forty thousand dollar Bimmer or a seventeen thousand
dollar Beemer when a twenty thousand dollar Chevy gets you from point a
to point b just as fast.

How about a used Mazda truck that cost $1,000, and gets 28 MPG?

Now, in my case, the "illusion" of maintenance free was a farce (as it
cost me over $1100 in repairs alone already) - but the other two
concerns (well made and it should last forever, with maintenance) still
seem valid to me at this time.

Which is the hook.

This is a well made watch. Probably just as well made as that $2500
rubber-banded analog Tag Heuer 2000 Aquagraph or Bell & Ross Hydromax
you wear yourself when diving today.

I have a Rolex. A gold Oyster Perpetual.

It was given to me by the gent who owned the 61' Swan I crewed.

(If you want to know what hell is, just change the starter on the Volvo
Penta diesel that the Swan was built around. I swear they must have
suspended that engine magnetically and built the boat around it.)

It doesn't work. It's a piece of junk. But its purty.

I have an UWATEC bottom timer for diving.

I am a machinist by trade, so I don't wear watches or any other jewelry;
potentially bad for the limbs.

Hi,
Rolex is used car sales man's favourite.
Won't even make onto the list of 10 best watches in the world.
There are many other fine watches. Not going too high, I like IWC.
Tony
Gunner

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:27:35 -0500, "RAM^3"
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Correct. Those little glass tubes are inset into the front and rear
sights so just the ends show.

They do have to be replaced periodically though as they go dim.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Rod Speed

Gunner wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And mechanical watches are complete dinosaurs anyway.

One should note that dinosaurs lasted several million years...

Irrelevant.

Gunner, collecter of Seiko automatics

Some collect buggy whips too.

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Pathetic, really.

Rod Speed

RAM^3 wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Irrelevant to dots in watches, stupid.

Fraser Johnston

wrote:

the swisswatchguy wrote
Rod Speed wrote

How about a cite on the chemistry of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

Useless on what chemical is used on the watch hands and dots.
And mechanical watches are complete dinosaurs anyway.

ROTFLMAO!
Ad hominem directed at a watch !?
You have clearly evolved, Rod..

If he keeps going at this rate he eventually get some thumbs.

Fraser

Karl Vorwerk

This answers the question as far as Rolex: "The black enameled dial of the
Explorer is elaborated with a painted white minute track, white gold bar
markets filled with tritium, and white gold Arabic numerals at three, six,
and nine."
Here's the link the quote is in:
http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...horologium0036

Karl

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Honest John wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Honest John wrote
wrote

whatever those "t's" mean.

Those Ts simply refer to the luminous substance used in the watch to
make the hands and dots "glow in the dark". I believe the Ts stand
for Tritium, the amount of Tritium used is above a certain industry
established limit for this slightly radioactive substance.

Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, the one after deuterium.

Unlikely that thats in a watch to make the hands glow.

Then what substance is in "Tritium tubes" that make
several makes of watches hands glow ????

Those are actually glass vials, and it isnt
really that practical to do the 'dots' that way.

Honest John

"zog" wrote in message

"Rod Speed is a moron, just plonk him"

He'll grow out of this, after all, "mentally" he's only 12 years old.

p.s. Say NO to drugs, Mr. SPEED !

RAM^3

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Pathetic, really.

Yes, you are!

RAM^3

wrote:

the swisswatchguy wrote
Rod Speed wrote

How about a cite on the chemistry of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

Useless on what chemical is used on the watch hands and dots.
And mechanical watches are complete dinosaurs anyway.

ROTFLMAO!
Ad hominem directed at a watch !?
You have clearly evolved, Rod..

If he keeps going at this rate he eventually get some thumbs.

Fraser

Bubububutt - then he'd have to get them out of his body cavities! G

zog

Honest John wrote:
"zog" wrote in message

"Rod Speed is a moron, just plonk him"

He'll grow out of this, after all, "mentally" he's only 12 years old.

p.s. Say NO to drugs, Mr. SPEED !

careful you are insulting 12 year olds