Nehmo Sergheyev

Default The Poor Dog Thirsty?

Auto-fill water bowl, how to make:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/dogwater.htm

Critique welcome (like I needed to say that).
--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
Doug Miller

In article , "Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote:
Auto-fill water bowl, how to make:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/dogwater.htm

Critique welcome (like I needed to say that).

Why go to all that trouble? You already have a water bowl for your dog, that,
while not actually auto-filling, at least gets manually refilled regularly.

It's in your bathroom.

--
Regards,

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Doug Miller -
Why go to all that trouble? You already have a water bowl for your

dog, that,
while not actually auto-filling, at least gets manually refilled

regularly.

It's in your bathroom.

- Nehmo –
Normally, in the gooseneck of the toilet bowl, the bottom of the bowl,
there is water from the last flush, and people *think* this water is
automatically replenished. But it’s not. If there is water pressure in
the line, the toilet _tank_ will be automatically filled. The tank does
not automatically fill the gooseneck of the bowl.

In certain situations, like when the dog(s) is locked in the home and
the humans don’t return for a time, like in NY around the WTC right
after 9-11, or perhaps when the humans get killed in a traffic accident,
the dogs will drink empty the water in the gooseneck of the toilet bowl.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Dr. Hardcrab

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
Auto-fill water bowl, how to make:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/dogwater.htm

Critique welcome (like I needed to say that).

Very creative, but I still think they wopuld be a pain. At least for me.

I have one of the water dishes with the up-side down containers that keeps
the bowl full (untill the conatiner runs out). The problem with them is I
have to clean them out once a week because of the slime/algea (or whatever
it is) that grows in the bowl. Not too big of a deal because I have a brush
set aside just for that.

I can imagine trying to clean all of the mechanisms in YOUR water bowl. Then
again, maybe you don't have a problem with slime/algea....

Pop

I'm going to take the opposit tack of posts so far and
say I like that idea and the simplicity of it. I've
got lots of buckets around, a pressure washer for
cleaning them whenever I do the car, and several borken
sump pumps with still working switches.
A good slosh and the water's quickly refreshed, too.

It pays to recycle the recycled recyclables sometimes;
I do it as often as I can g.

Pop

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in
message
Auto-fill water bowl, how to make:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/dogwater.htm

Critique welcome (like I needed to say that).

Lee

twfsa wrote:
It would be easier to just get off your ass and check and fill the water
bowl, if you can't do that you don't deserve a dog!

Hey Tom

Maybe he has a bunch of dogs or is a breedeer?

Lee

neet idea. heres another idea,,,, for my pets outside i have my
air conditioner drain running into a 5 gallon bucket that sits in a 2
inch deep trough. it fills 5 gallons about every 24 hours,and runs over
into the trough , so it keeps a good water supply for them when the ac
is on. i pour the water on flowers to. lucas

HorneTD

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
Auto-fill water bowl, how to make:
http://home.kc.rr.com/vegetable/dogwater.htm

Critique welcome (like I needed to say that).

I like the second version a lot. I wonder if it would work if it were
installed in the wall of one of those square sided buckets. If it would
you could just add a garden house female adapter with swivel to its
threads and supply it from a garden house.

Warning Notice Danger. Toddlers can drown in the larger buckets because
their heads weigh so much more in proportion to their entire body weight
than older children. If you are making one of these use the smallest
bucket that will work for your animals and keep it inaccessible to
toddlers.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.
Doug Miller

In article , "Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote:
- Doug Miller -
Why go to all that trouble? You already have a water bowl for your

dog, that,
while not actually auto-filling, at least gets manually refilled

regularly.

It's in your bathroom.

- Nehmo –
Normally, in the gooseneck of the toilet bowl, the bottom of the bowl,
there is water from the last flush, and people *think* this water is
automatically replenished. But it’s not. If there is water pressure in
the line, the toilet _tank_ will be automatically filled. The tank does
not automatically fill the gooseneck of the bowl.

I believe I said very clearly that it is not auto-filling.

In certain situations, like when the dog(s) is locked in the home and
the humans don’t return for a time, like in NY around the WTC right
after 9-11, or perhaps when the humans get killed in a traffic accident,
the dogs will drink empty the water in the gooseneck of the toilet bowl.

True enough - but in such situations, the dog will soon run out of food as
well. An automatically replenished water source will only prolong the
inevitable.

--
Regards,

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo –
Normally, in the gooseneck of the toilet bowl, the bottom of the

bowl,
there is water from the last flush, and people *think* this water is
automatically replenished. But it’s not. If there is water pressure

in
the line, the toilet _tank_ will be automatically filled. The tank

does
not automatically fill the gooseneck of the bowl.

Doug Miller
I believe I said very clearly that it is not auto-filling.

- Nehmo –
Yes, you did. But if you’re serious about that suggestion, there are
other problems with it. The toilet bowl doesn’t get manually refilled if
the humans are gone; and the water isn’t exactly clean. Even though dogs
are immune to many pathogens that attack people, dogs lick people and
are in close contact in other ways.

- Nehmo –
In certain situations, like when the dog(s) is locked in the home and
the humans don’t return for a time, like in NY around the WTC right
after 9-11, or perhaps when the humans get killed in a traffic

accident,
the dogs will drink empty the water in the gooseneck of the toilet

bowl.

- Doug Miller -
True enough - but in such situations, the dog will soon run out of

food as
well. An automatically replenished water source will only prolong the
inevitable.

- Nehmo –
A mammal can survive a long time with water but without food, and maybe
before death form starvation someone would come to the rescue. So it's
much more likely Fluffy would survive if his water supply were more
certain.

But philologically, *every* effort for survival merely postpones the
inevitable.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Matt

Jesus Christ, Nehmo.

Move the **** out of Wyandotte county and get someone to feed/water
your dogs if you are away.

You ****ing Russians are a ****ing handfull.

Philip Lewis

HorneTD writes:
Warning Notice Danger. Toddlers can drown in the larger buckets because

[...]
If you are making one of these use the smallest bucket that will work
for your animals and keep it inaccessible to toddlers.

There are far too many things which are dangerous to toddlers in ways
that we cannot even imagine. It is unreasonable for the world to be
"proofed" against people who are not at a mental or physical
competence for avoiding that danger.

If you are responcible for the well being of another-- be it toddler,
child, or teen-- keep an eye on them... that way your not facing
tragedy or disappointment when some simply avoided harm comes to them.

As Mad-Eye Moody would say: "Constant Vigilance!"

--
be safe.
flip

Nehmo Sergheyev

- HorneTD -
I like the second version a lot. I wonder if it would work if it were
installed in the wall of one of those square sided buckets. If it

would
you could just add a garden house female adapter with swivel to its
threads and supply it from a garden house.

- Nehmo -
The one with the pressure-activated valve does look neater, I suppose.
The other kind, with the float-activated valve has the advantage of
being completely removable. You can't make the pressure-activated kind
removable because that kind of valve can't be completely submerged. The
bottom has to be exposed to the air.

Either valve has the odd toilet supply connection on the bottom, and the
only reasonably priced part that mates with it is a toilet supply line.
So if you want to connect to another line, you have to find some
arrangement that connects with the end of a toilet supply line.

Toilet supply lines either end with a 3/8” pressure fitting (to fit a
regular toilet supply valve) or end with just the un-fitted tube. The
tube is 3/8" PEX, some other plastic flexible material, or copper. You
can get a fitting that connects a 3/8" tube to a water hose connection.

But don't use a regular garden hose to supply the water. Water tastes
terrible after sitting in a regular garden hose for a while. Use a
drinkable water (potable water) hose.

And yeah, I wanted to use a rectangular bucket, but I didn't have one
around.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Lee -
Maybe he has a bunch of dogs or is a breedeer?

- Nehmo -
We take in abandoned house pets, and we find them new homes or we try.
Right now we have seven dogs. If any reader is in Kansas City and can
care for a dog, let me know.

I used to have a business in which I went form mobile home to mobile
home. In the summer, I would find numerous dogs without water. Many were
tied up too. I thought publicizing my method of keeping our dogs in
water may make it easier for others to do the same for their dogs.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Matt -
Move the **** out of Wyandotte county

- Nehmo -
Some day we will. But for now, it's not such a bad place for Wyandotte.
These are some pics out my (home) office window
http://img64.exs.cx/img64/8657/night0027ie.jpg
http://img64.exs.cx/img64/433/447first0018ug.jpg

- Matt -
and get someone to feed/water
your dogs if you are away.

- Nehmo -
Someone is usually here, but one less task means that much more freedom.
I like not worrying about the dog water.

- Matt -
You ****ing Russians are a ****ing handfull.

- Nehmo -
I don't mind being called Russian because I am half, genetically, and
it's a respectable nationality. But I have to clarify, I was born in
Chicago.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Matt

Someone is usually here, but one less task means that much more freedom.
I like not worrying about the dog water.

If you don't like worrying about dogs, then why do you keep them? A dog
deserves no less the attention you would give a child, once you have
obtained one.

don't mind being called Russian because I am half, genetically, and
it's a respectable nationality.

It became respectable once your homeland gave up it's commie
nationality and became part of the world. Until then, your country was
a bit player in a two bit play.

But I have to clarify, I was born in Chicago.

Never asked where you were born, russkie, I merely stated where you are
living now.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Matt -
If you don't like worrying about dogs, then why do you keep them? A

dog
deserves no less the attention you would give a child, once you have
obtained one.

- Nehmo -
That's not a bad attitude. Maybe you could help out. Do you have a yard?

- Nehmo -
don't mind being called Russian because I am half, genetically, and
it's a respectable nationality.

- Matt -
It became respectable once your homeland gave up it's commie
nationality and became part of the world. Until then, your country was
a bit player in a two bit play.

- Nehmo -
You say "your country" like I had or have some responsibility for it. I
don't even like taking responsibility for *this* country.

- Nehmo -
But I have to clarify, I was born in Chicago.

- Matt -
Never asked where you were born, russkie, I merely stated where you

are
living now.

- Nehmo -
You implied you thought I was born in Russia when you referred to me as
"You ****ing Russians". You could have been just referring of my genetic
origins. In any case, I clarified. I doesn't matter if you asked
directly.

And I don't understand your point about Wyandotte. Yes, I live here. So?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote

neet idea. heres another idea,,,, for my pets outside i have my
air conditioner drain running into a 5 gallon bucket that sits in a 2
inch deep trough. it fills 5 gallons about every 24 hours,

That's where Legionaire's disease comes from......

Pop

"twfsa" wrote in message
It would be easier to just get off your ass and check
and fill the water bowl, if you can't do that you
don't deserve a dog!

Tom

Yeah, OR, I might love my pets and prefer a method
which assures that they have fresh, cool water all the
time, not stagnant, hours old, probaby days old in your
case, water at the ready constantly. I can tell from
your comment that if anyone doesn't "deserve a dog",
it's going to be you.
I grabbed out some pieces yesterday and plan to have
one in the yard by end of next weekend. I'm going to
use a shallower pan by cutting down the now sterilized
plastic buckets to something easier to hold a little
less water, and put them on a tilt mechanism to make
them easy to refill. One dog's already started using
it, even though it's just hte prototype in the garage.
If you dont' like a challenge, and making things
easier on yoursef, OR if you have too much time on your
hands, go fin dsomething you do like to do.

nanook

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:22:53 -0400, "Pop"
wrote:

"twfsa" wrote in message
[...]

there used to be a set up to refill livestock troughs automatically.
it would turn on only when the horses nose would hit it when it would
bow it's head to get a drink of water.

if I remember correctly, it was a cast iron bowl that would hold maybe
a gallon of water (like a large salad serving bowl) and it had a black
plastic spring loaded flap in it. when the horse would "nose" it
fresh water came out, as long as it was lapping and drinking, the
water would run. I saw this used mostly in FFA shows where space was
at a premium and not too much room for a trough. each stall had one
of these connected to the water supply or a water hose. some horses
were smart enough to let the water run until it was cool.

this is kind of what I am talking about...but not exactly, same
premise though.

http://www.dblrsupply.com/store/misc/autowaterers.html
Pop

wrote:

"twfsa" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, that's exactly the concept that's needed. That's a
standard way to provide water to cows when they're confined to the
barn. And they definitely do know to let it run until it gets
cold, but it's not often necessary; cows drink a LOT of water.
But, that exact product requires too hard a "push" to get
water but it's still the basic concept. The "lever" they push on
to get water is actually a sort of steel grate covering the whole
"bowl". It keeps them from getting their tongues into the
mechanism and to a degree keeps them from sucking up debris in the
bottom of the bowl. Plus, of course, there's only water there
on-demand, so it'd take training the dogs to use it since the
water left after a drink quickly evaporates until the cow presses
on the grate again.

Regards,

Pop (aka old farmer)

Pop