nanook

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:22:53 -0400, "Pop"
wrote:

"twfsa" wrote in message
It would be easier to just get off your ass and check
and fill the water bowl, if you can't do that you
don't deserve a dog!

Tom

Yeah, OR, I might love my pets and prefer a method
which assures that they have fresh, cool water all the
time, not stagnant, hours old, probaby days old in your
case, water at the ready constantly. I can tell from
your comment that if anyone doesn't "deserve a dog",
it's going to be you.
I grabbed out some pieces yesterday and plan to have
one in the yard by end of next weekend. I'm going to
use a shallower pan by cutting down the now sterilized
plastic buckets to something easier to hold a little
less water, and put them on a tilt mechanism to make
them easy to refill. One dog's already started using
it, even though it's just hte prototype in the garage.
If you dont' like a challenge, and making things
easier on yoursef, OR if you have too much time on your
hands, go fin dsomething you do like to do.

there used to be a set up to refill livestock troughs automatically.
it would turn on only when the horses nose would hit it when it would
bow it's head to get a drink of water.

if I remember correctly, it was a cast iron bowl that would hold maybe
a gallon of water (like a large salad serving bowl) and it had a black
plastic spring loaded flap in it. when the horse would "nose" it
fresh water came out, as long as it was lapping and drinking, the
water would run. I saw this used mostly in FFA shows where space was
at a premium and not too much room for a trough. each stall had one
of these connected to the water supply or a water hose. some horses
were smart enough to let the water run until it was cool.

this is kind of what I am talking about...but not exactly, same
premise though.

http://www.dblrsupply.com/store/misc/autowaterers.html