R Thompson

Default Odd slider size?

Last summer we bought a new house, built in 1990, which has a sliding patio
door on the back of the house which we want to replace with a French door
unit. The problem is that the existing door is 70" wide and looks like 79"
tall.

Any thoughts on where I could find a door this size?

Thanks,

--
Rthomps9

tom

Have one custom made? Tom

Colbyt

"R Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
Last summer we bought a new house, built in 1990, which has a sliding

patio
door on the back of the house which we want to replace with a French door
unit. The problem is that the existing door is 70" wide and looks like 79"
tall.

Any thoughts on where I could find a door this size?

It isn't the size of the current door as much as it is the size of the rough
opening that limits your choices. The rough opening is the area between the
vertical studs on each side and the header above the door. If the home is
brick the width and height of the brick opening also enters the equation.

Most of the major brands will custom make you a unit to fit within just
about any rough opening. You pay through the nose for the service and wait
a long time to get your product.

At your experience level, based on the question you asked, I would suggest
that you get someone with some experience to look at this. With experience
it might be a fairly simple exchange.

Colbyt

Edwin Pawlowski

"R Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
Last summer we bought a new house, built in 1990, which has a sliding
patio
door on the back of the house which we want to replace with a French door
unit. The problem is that the existing door is 70" wide and looks like 79"
tall.

Any thoughts on where I could find a door this size?

My though is, do you need that size? If the house was build in 1990, it is
very likely a standard sized opening. Builders try to avoid special sizes
on doors because they cost so much to have made special.

My guess is that you are not measuring properly. Trim may be covering the
actual size of the door. You need to remove the trim to see the rough
opening and measure that.