Doug Kanter

Default Caulking between roof & siding

I need to caulk in a place where my garage roof meets the rest of the
house's aluminum siding. Not sure whether to use the black goop made for
roof repairs, or "other". I suspect the roof stuff won't cling dependably to
the siding, and may even ooze off when the sun hits it. What's the right
thing for this situation?

Ken

Doug Kanter wrote:
I need to caulk in a place where my garage roof meets the rest of the
house's aluminum siding. Not sure whether to use the black goop made for
roof repairs, or "other". I suspect the roof stuff won't cling dependably to
the siding, and may even ooze off when the sun hits it. What's the right
thing for this situation?

Are you talking about were the roof of a one-story garage meets the
wall of a two-story house? If so, that should be flashed to keep out
water, no caulk or other goop should be necessary. If you need to do
this because of a leak, then don't fix it with caulk, you need to fix
the flashing first.

Ken

JimL

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:15:55 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I need to caulk in a place where my garage roof meets the rest of the
house's aluminum siding. Not sure whether to use the black goop made for
roof repairs, or "other". I suspect the roof stuff won't cling dependably to
the siding, and may even ooze off when the sun hits it. What's the right
thing for this situation?

I'm assuming you don't have a fascia board or sophit???
Can you post a picture of this intersection?

I agree.
TB

Doug Kanter

wrote:

I need to caulk in a place where my garage roof meets the rest of the
house's aluminum siding. Not sure whether to use the black goop made for
roof repairs, or "other". I suspect the roof stuff won't cling dependably
the siding, and may even ooze off when the sun hits it. What's the right
thing for this situation?

I'm assuming you don't have a fascia board or sophit???
Can you post a picture of this intersection?

Stay tuned. Might not get a chance to photograph it today, but I'll post one
by tomorrow.

Doug Kanter

"Ken" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
I need to caulk in a place where my garage roof meets the rest of the
house's aluminum siding. Not sure whether to use the black goop made for
roof repairs, or "other". I suspect the roof stuff won't cling dependably
the siding, and may even ooze off when the sun hits it. What's the right
thing for this situation?

Are you talking about were the roof of a one-story garage meets the
wall of a two-story house?

Right.

If so, that should be flashed to keep out
water, no caulk or other goop should be necessary. If you need to do
this because of a leak, then don't fix it with caulk, you need to fix
the flashing first.

Ken

I agree. I haven't actually gotten really close to the junction yet - my
ladder's about a foot too short to get up there. (New ladder tonight!) But,
from what I can see, there appears to be NO flashing. It comes as no
surprise, since the siding installation seems to have been a cob job to
start with.

Ken

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

The roofers, not the siders, should have installed the flashing. So if
any con-job artists are at work, it was the roofers.

Ken

Doug Kanter

"Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

The *******s. Now I have to work on it when I should be in church, also
known (here) as fishing.

No

As has been said. Flashing is the key. Roofers say its the siding guys,
siding guys say the roofers. Its the homeowners who get screwed. You may
need to remove some of the siding then, if a shingled roof, you can use step
flashing, then re-attached the siding.

Caulk may possibly help for a temp measure if you are getting water in. The
black stuff is fine.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I need to caulk in a place where my garage roof meets the rest of the
house's aluminum siding. Not sure whether to use the black goop made for
roof repairs, or "other". I suspect the roof stuff won't cling dependably
to the siding, and may even ooze off when the sun hits it. What's the right
thing for this situation?

Leak in roof from neighbor's siding? Rajesh Dugar Home Repair 1 June 5th 05 04:02 AM
Securing carport roof to house siding Andrew Duane Home Repair 2 May 19th 05 09:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
caulking for siding Sluggo Home Repair 5 July 19th 03 12:46 AM