Sluggo

Default caulking for siding

Hi there,

I was about to caulk the new hardi siding on my garage (horizontal lap
boards). Since the bottom part of each board kicks out from the lap, there
is quite a bit of space to fill with caulk for each seam. Do I keep filling
these gaps with oodles of caulk? This seems like it will be a very slow and
tedious job... Any tips on how to caulk lap siding?

thanks

Art Begun

They make a insulation roll foam to back up caulk. Comes in 3
diameters that I know of. You fill gap with that first and then
caulk. Think it is called backup rod or something like that. Just a
dense foam spagetti like material available in hardware stores.

"Sluggo" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there,

I was about to caulk the new hardi siding on my garage (horizontal

lap
boards). Since the bottom part of each board kicks out from the

lap, there
is quite a bit of space to fill with caulk for each seam. Do I keep

filling
these gaps with oodles of caulk? This seems like it will be a very

slow and
tedious job... Any tips on how to caulk lap siding?

thanks

Mike Columbo

"Sluggo" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there,

I was about to caulk the new hardi siding on my garage (horizontal lap
boards). Since the bottom part of each board kicks out from the lap,

there
is quite a bit of space to fill with caulk for each seam. Do I keep

filling
these gaps with oodles of caulk? This seems like it will be a very slow

and
tedious job... Any tips on how to caulk lap siding?

thanks

did you install it backwards?
did you nail the overlap?

usually you would caulk only vertical joints NOT horizontal joints.

If you need to caulk all overlapped joints
it is installed incorrectly.

M.C.
somewhere in Ca.

George E. Cawthon

Or metal ones that overlap the end of each board. I've seen
some installations that don't use anything between the board
and just butt the siding. They look crappy and I'm sure
they will be a problem sometime in the future.

"Sluggo" wrote in message
I only have the vertical joints to caulk.

"Mike Columbo" wrote in message

. ..