Andrew Duane

Default Securing carport roof to house siding

I'm considering having a concrete parking slab poured next to my
garage, and will likely put up posts and a roof to make it into at
least a covered carport. The house is standard cedar clapboard siding
over plywood sheathing. Is there a best way to secure the new roof
structure to the side of the house? I don't care about being weather
tight obviously, but I don't want to damage the house, or risk the
carport being blown over in a storm.

Studs will be hard to find under the siding/sheathing; is the sheathing
itself sturdy enough to handle this? Should I secure a ledger board and
attach to that, or will that invite rot to the siding? Maybe a half
dozen lag screws with small standoffs to leave airspace? Support posts
on both sides of the roof to hold up the weight so it doesn't bear on
the house?

ameijers

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering having a concrete parking slab poured next to my
garage, and will likely put up posts and a roof to make it into at
least a covered carport. The house is standard cedar clapboard siding
over plywood sheathing. Is there a best way to secure the new roof
structure to the side of the house? I don't care about being weather
tight obviously, but I don't want to damage the house, or risk the
carport being blown over in a storm.

Studs will be hard to find under the siding/sheathing; is the sheathing
itself sturdy enough to handle this? Should I secure a ledger board and
attach to that, or will that invite rot to the siding? Maybe a half
dozen lag screws with small standoffs to leave airspace? Support posts
on both sides of the roof to hold up the weight so it doesn't bear on
the house?

Is the inside of the garage finished? You could run, say, a 2x8 down the
length of the wall on the inside to stiffen it, then use lag screws with
standoffs into the studs (or blocking between them) to hold the rim
joist/ledger board of the carport roof. (pretty much like building a deck.)
Unless it would look too tacky for your neighborhood, I would just pour the
slab with 4 or 6 soda cans in the right spots to receive the posts for one
of those alumium carport kits. A heavy snow or bad summer storm will damage
them, but you avoid having to asphalt the roof or paint the wood. Even if
you build it out of wood, if you can't reinforce the wall, I'd use posts on
both sides.

aem sends....

IBM5081

Agreed - Use posts on both side with corner bracing at the top of the
posts. The carport should be freestanding. To anchor the structure to
the house would leave openings in the siding which could leak or invite
insects.