Andrew Duane

Default Securing carport roof to house siding

I'm considering having a concrete parking slab poured next to my
garage, and will likely put up posts and a roof to make it into at
least a covered carport. The house is standard cedar clapboard siding
over plywood sheathing. Is there a best way to secure the new roof
structure to the side of the house? I don't care about being weather
tight obviously, but I don't want to damage the house, or risk the
carport being blown over in a storm.

Studs will be hard to find under the siding/sheathing; is the sheathing
itself sturdy enough to handle this? Should I secure a ledger board and
attach to that, or will that invite rot to the siding? Maybe a half
dozen lag screws with small standoffs to leave airspace? Support posts
on both sides of the roof to hold up the weight so it doesn't bear on
the house?