Ray

Default Adding a Phone to the Workshop

I'm running cat5e to a workshop in my backyard to use for a phone.

I have the following questions:

1. I'm going to install one end of the cable directly into the NID. Is this
acceptable...do I piggy back (place over the top) of the existing wires
inside the box ??

2. What color wires do I use for this installation ??

3. How do I transition the workshop end of the cable into a wall plate that
will accept the smaller phone jack ??

Thanks in advance....

PrecisionMachinisT

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm running cat5e to a workshop in my backyard to use for a phone.

I have the following questions:

1. I'm going to install one end of the cable directly into the NID. Is

this
acceptable...do I piggy back (place over the top) of the existing wires
inside the box ??

2. What color wires do I use for this installation ??

3. How do I transition the workshop end of the cable into a wall plate

that
will accept the smaller phone jack ??

Thanks in advance....

As both 568a or 568b have the blue pair on pins 4 & 5, if you just wire per
cat5 you will be fine because the smaller phone plug RJ11 fits just fine
into an RJ45 (cat5) jack.

FWIW, I run data and telephone nearly 500 ft in the same cable, as the blue
pair and pins 4&5 aren't used in 10BaseT data transmission.

SEE:

http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/netw...00TX/colorcode
standards.htm

--

SVL

Joseph Meehan

Ray wrote:
I'm running cat5e to a workshop in my backyard to use for a phone.

I have the following questions:

1. I'm going to install one end of the cable directly into the NID.
Is this acceptable...do I piggy back (place over the top) of the
existing wires inside the box ??

2. What color wires do I use for this installation ??

3. How do I transition the workshop end of the cable into a wall
plate that will accept the smaller phone jack ??

Thanks in advance....

Have you considered just using a cordless phone?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

SteveB

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm running cat5e to a workshop in my backyard to use for a phone.

I have the following questions:

1. I'm going to install one end of the cable directly into the NID. Is
this
acceptable...do I piggy back (place over the top) of the existing wires
inside the box ??

2. What color wires do I use for this installation ??

3. How do I transition the workshop end of the cable into a wall plate
that
will accept the smaller phone jack ??

Thanks in advance....

Two words: CORDLESS PHONE

What ever happened to "Christmas tree, bumble bee"? for color
conventions?

Art Todesco

I don't know what "Christmas tree, bumble bee"
stands for. However, the standard telephone
wiring is blue, orange, green, brown, slate. Some
pairs are blue/white (blue with white bands)
white/blue .... white being the 1st secondary
color. Some cables have pairs that are blue/1white
and blue/2 white (1 band or 2 bands). The
secondary color is white, red, black, yellow,
violet.
As for 4 wire telephone cables, solitd red and
solid green is the 1st pair and yellow and black is
the 2nd. The so called tip side of the line is
the green wire and the ring side of the line is red
(get it, Red, Ring). On an open line, the Tip
side will be at ground and the Ring side will be at
-48 volts .... usually.

wrote:
What ever happened to "Christmas tree, bumble bee"? for color
conventions?

Perhaps I am dating myself.... traditional phone lines were colored red
& green (Christmas tree)
and yellow and black (bumble bee). Has been that way for ages.....

Stormin Mormon

Works for me. I'm old enough to know that one. Red, Ring.

That old four color stuff, still works nicely.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
What ever happened to "Christmas tree, bumble bee"? for color
conventions?

Stormin Mormon

Guess yer not old enough?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news I don't know what "Christmas tree, bumble bee"

wrote:
What ever happened to "Christmas tree, bumble bee"? for color
conventions?

Or how about a wireless network? Just plug the wireless router into an
existing network hub and configure it using MAC filtering