PrecisionMachinisT

"Ray" wrote in message
news:cEvoe.3342$mC.1263@okepread07...
I'm running cat5e to a workshop in my backyard to use for a phone.

I have the following questions:

1. I'm going to install one end of the cable directly into the NID. Is

this
acceptable...do I piggy back (place over the top) of the existing wires
inside the box ??

2. What color wires do I use for this installation ??

3. How do I transition the workshop end of the cable into a wall plate

that
will accept the smaller phone jack ??

Thanks in advance....

As both 568a or 568b have the blue pair on pins 4 & 5, if you just wire per
cat5 you will be fine because the smaller phone plug RJ11 fits just fine
into an RJ45 (cat5) jack.

FWIW, I run data and telephone nearly 500 ft in the same cable, as the blue
pair and pins 4&5 aren't used in 10BaseT data transmission.

SEE:

http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/netw...00TX/colorcode
standards.htm

--