PrecisionMachinisT

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:lTPoe.2937$tr.730@fed1read03...

"Ignoramus6998" wrote in message
On 5 Jun 2005 20:40:04 -0700,
wrote:

Or how about a wireless network? Just plug the wireless router into
an existing network hub and configure it using MAC filtering

We have both wireless and cable based connections in our house.
Laptops work through wireless, desktop computers are permanently
wired.

Practically, wireless is nice and it works most of the time, but it is
not nearly as reliable as ethernet and real throughput does not
even compare.

We have a relatively modern 801.11g routers and cards etc, so it is
not the case of me using antiquated equipment.

I talked to the Uniden rep at Consumer Electronics Show. We had installed
their booth. I asked him to give me an honest answer to the question,

"Are
wireless systems any good?"

He said if there isn't anything between the sending units, they worked

just
okay. If there were walls, pipes, wiring, masonry, or anything else,

their
effectiveness was diminished. He said in his opinion they were just more
"stuff" for the gearhead.

Definately not gonna pass through stucco or metal siding and on into a
detached workshop.

--

SVL