Matt

Default Black Walnut

I've heard that black walnut lumber is valuable.

I've got a healthy, mature (between 20-40 years) black walnut tree in
my back yard.

Are there companies that come to harvest these trees, and pay you for
the lumber, or does the cost of cutting it down erase any profit?

Thanks

m Ransley

Usualy they wont take them fearing nails

SQLit

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've heard that black walnut lumber is valuable.

I've got a healthy, mature (between 20-40 years) black walnut tree in
my back yard.

Are there companies that come to harvest these trees, and pay you for
the lumber, or does the cost of cutting it down erase any profit?

Thanks

We had some on the farm when I was a kid. I know dad got a check for them. I
had to show them how to get the trucks in and keep the cows at bay while
they came down.

Best is to contact some one local. At 40 years young they may not be
interested. Ours were well over a 100 years when they were cut.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've heard that black walnut lumber is valuable.

I've got a healthy, mature (between 20-40 years) black walnut tree in
my back yard.

Are there companies that come to harvest these trees, and pay you for
the lumber, or does the cost of cutting it down erase any profit?

Thanks

Maybe, maybe not. There are a few factors. Many saw mills will not touch
"yard trees" because they often have hidden nails, hammock supports and
other assorted metal that will damage the cutting blades. The size of the
tree and location come into play is it may be difficult to drop safely.

Go to the web site for Woodmizer and you may find an interested person
through their referral program.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Black/white walnut is valued. it will have to be over 24" in diam to make
it worth while. Age is not an issue, mass and straightness is.
I netted $22K for 5 veneer grade trees. the roots were carefully removed
and i found out later that they are value for gunstock material. Not much
in way of firewood was left, all got taken away.

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've heard that black walnut lumber is valuable.

I've got a healthy, mature (between 20-40 years) black walnut tree in
my back yard.

Are there companies that come to harvest these trees, and pay you for
the lumber, or does the cost of cutting it down erase any profit?

Thanks

Maybe, maybe not. There are a few factors. Many saw mills will not touch
"yard trees" because they often have hidden nails, hammock supports and
other assorted metal that will damage the cutting blades. The size of the
tree and location come into play is it may be difficult to drop safely.

Go to the web site for Woodmizer and you may find an interested person
through their referral program.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

First of all, a 40 yo black walmut is not very big. Second,
forget the nails.... in the truly big (and old) trees, the fear
is horseshoes. I have had to place substantial deposits at
the local lumbermill, in case they hit a horseshoe... the cost
was $40/tooth on a huge bandsaw.

Richard J Kinch

Matt writes:

Are there companies that come to harvest these trees, and pay you for
the lumber, or does the cost of cutting it down erase any profit?

You want to sell a "stick".

Or, you can have a portable mill come to your place and turn it into rough
sawn lumber for you.
MC

not sure about today, but black walnut used to be expensive wood.

Check with specialty furniture makers and wood suppliers that either would
want the wood or can give references to others that may deal with raw wood
better.

If good size trees then should be able to have someone harvest and still pay
you for them.

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Matt writes:

Are there companies that come to harvest these trees, and pay you for
the lumber, or does the cost of cutting it down erase any profit?

You want to sell a "stick".

Or, you can have a portable mill come to your place and turn it into rough
sawn lumber for you.

Dave

Matt wrote:
I've heard that black walnut lumber is valuable.

I've got a healthy, mature (between 20-40 years) black walnut
tree in my back yard.

Are there companies that come to harvest these trees, and pay
you for the lumber, or does the cost of cutting it down erase
any profit?

From what I've read your best bet would be to inquire with local

woodworkers. Forest grown trees are valuable because they are bigger,
have no low branches, and have no embedded metal from old fences. Trees
in a yard are usually a different story. Measure the tree's
circumference 4 1/2 feet from the ground and the height of the lowest
branch or scar and decide whether it might have ever been in a fence
line.