Robert11

Default Haier Air Conditioners: Thoughts On ?

Hello:

The local paper (Boston) are full of ads for window air conditioners
by HAIER.

Have never, ever, heard of them.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on, them ?

Sure are cheap; a 6,000 BTU window unit for $ 99.

With a name like Haier, they are probably from China or Korea, but i
remember reading
that most A/C's these days are.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Robert11 wrote:

The local paper (Boston) are full of ads for window air conditioners
by HAIER.

Have never, ever, heard of them.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on, them ?

Sure are cheap; a 6,000 BTU window unit for $ 99.

Wal-Mart sells a 5K Btu PER HOUR 9.7 SEER version for $78.44.

With a name like Haier, they are probably from China or Korea, but i
remember reading that most A/C's these days are.

I just bought a Daewoo 5340 Btu/h 10.2 SEER for $69.

Thoughts on ?

I measured a 0.98 COP for the Haier in a 63 F room with the hot coil
airflow restricted to make it 110 F.

Remote control adds about $20.

Nick

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message

With a name like Haier, they are probably from China or Korea, but i
remember reading
that most A/C's these days are.

Thoughts on ?

Most small AC's are from abroad or have major components that are.

Robert11

Hi Nick:

Thanks for info.

Is 0.98 COP "good" ?

Bob
----------------

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

The local paper (Boston) are full of ads for window air conditioners
by HAIER.

Have never, ever, heard of them.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on, them ?

Sure are cheap; a 6,000 BTU window unit for $ 99.

With a name like Haier, they are probably from China or Korea, but i
remember reading
that most A/C's these days are.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

From China. Low priced (as you see).
Company has been expanding rapidly.
No knowledge of how good they are.

LB

I just bought a 5200 BTU from Target for 69.99 a few weeks back. I
have only used it 3 times at night in my bedroom. It seems to work
well.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 08:27:54 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

The local paper (Boston) are full of ads for window air conditioners
by HAIER.

Have never, ever, heard of them.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on, them ?

Sure are cheap; a 6,000 BTU window unit for $ 99.

With a name like Haier, they are probably from China or Korea, but i
remember reading
that most A/C's these days are.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

World Traveler

wrote in message ...
Robert11 wrote:

[snip]
With a name like Haier, they are probably from China or Korea, but i
remember reading
that most A/C's these days are.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

From China. Low priced (as you see).
Company has been expanding rapidly.
No knowledge of how good they are.

The company headquarters are in China, but it's a quality, forward-looking
multi-national brand, and the unit you bought was probably from their U.S.
plant. Haier has a large plant adjacent to I95 just south of Florence, SC.,
which was built for the specific purpose of understanding and marketing to
the U.S. market. -- Regards --

Edwin Pawlowski

"World Traveler" wrote in message

The company headquarters are in China, but it's a quality, forward-looking
multi-national brand, and the unit you bought was probably from their U.S.
plant. Haier has a large plant adjacent to I95 just south of Florence,
SC., which was built for the specific purpose of understanding and
marketing to the U.S. market. -- Regards --

We have one of their refrigerators in work and it was made in China.
According to their web site, some manufacturing is being done in the US.

http://www.haieramerica.com/about_haier.php
Camden, South Carolina is the site of the $40 million Haier America
Industrial Park. The 110 acres of land is the home of the groundbreaking
state-of-the-art refrigerator facility, which is surely, the first of many.

Robert11 wrote:

Is 0.98 COP "good" ?

Not a bad cooling COP, given my torturing, although less than Haier's
9.7/3.41 = 2.84 spec. If the heating COP is 1.98, we might heat water
for showers this way with half the usual energy.

I measured a 0.98 COP for the Haier in a 63 F room with the hot coil
airflow restricted to make it 110 F.

There was some condensation, which I didn't measure.

Nick