jak

Default Any thoughts for covering internal bricks walls?

Hi all,

Any thoughts or suggestions for the following.

My house is a traditional 1940's 3 bed-semi, with a "lean-to/utility" on the
side.

Want to decorate this "lean-to" and change it from being just a brick
outhouse to a nice utility room. I've already made a false floor to raise
it level with the kitchen / front & back doors, now I looking to cover the
brick walls.

The "lean-to/utility" side is about 17ft by 5ft.

I thought of plasterboarding the whole utility room but I think it will cost
alot to have the whole room skimmed by a plasterer.

I had thought of painting straight onto plasterboard or even wallpapering
(but worried it maybe too damp/or not suitable for wallpaper).

Any other thoughts for cover the walls?

Thanks In advance

JAK

BillR

jak wrote:
Hi all,

Any thoughts or suggestions for the following.

My house is a traditional 1940's 3 bed-semi, with a "lean-to/utility"
on the side.

Want to decorate this "lean-to" and change it from being just a brick
outhouse to a nice utility room. I've already made a false floor to
raise it level with the kitchen / front & back doors, now I looking
to cover the brick walls.

The "lean-to/utility" side is about 17ft by 5ft.

I thought of plasterboarding the whole utility room but I think it
will cost alot to have the whole room skimmed by a plasterer.

I had thought of painting straight onto plasterboard or even
wallpapering (but worried it maybe too damp/or not suitable for
wallpaper).

Any other thoughts for cover the walls?

Textured paint?
Thats what I used on what was an outside wall and is now one wall of my
utility room.
The other walls, in what is now a study, I battened and covered with
plasterboard.

Reader

"jak" wrote in message ...
[...]

I would still go for the plasterboard. If you don't want to pay for it
to be skimmed (and you don't want to do it yourself? ) then just tape
and fill the joints and cover with lining paper and then paint - et
voila!

You could also just lime wash the walls. This may make the room feel a
bit cold.
N. Thornton

"jak" wrote in message ... snip

My house is a traditional 1940's 3 bed-semi, with a "lean-to/utility" on the
side.

Want to decorate this "lean-to" and change it from being just a brick
outhouse to a nice utility room. I've already made a false floor to raise
it level with the kitchen / front & back doors, now I looking to cover the
brick walls.

I thought of plasterboarding the whole utility room but I think it will cost
alot to have the whole room skimmed by a plasterer.

You dont have to, you can just use jointing plaster to fill the
joints, do it yourself.

Regards, NT
BigWallop

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"jak" wrote in message

... snip

My house is a traditional 1940's 3 bed-semi, with a "lean-to/utility" on

the
side.

Want to decorate this "lean-to" and change it from being just a brick
outhouse to a nice utility room. I've already made a false floor to

raise
it level with the kitchen / front & back doors, now I looking to cover

the
brick walls.

I thought of plasterboarding the whole utility room but I think it will

cost
alot to have the whole room skimmed by a plasterer.

You dont have to, you can just use jointing plaster to fill the
joints, do it yourself.

Regards, NT

And make sure the plasterboard doesn't have the tapered edges.

Toby

BigWallop wrote:
"N. Thornton" wrote in message

You dont have to, you can just use jointing plaster to fill the
joints, do it yourself.

Regards, NT

And make sure the plasterboard doesn't have the tapered edges.

Doesn't? Surely to avoid skimming you would use tapered edge boards then
tape and fill the joints ready for basecoat. (Said with a hallway full of
t/e boards)

--
Toby.

BigWallop

"Toby" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"N. Thornton" wrote in message

You dont have to, you can just use jointing plaster to fill the
joints, do it yourself.

Regards, NT

And make sure the plasterboard doesn't have the tapered edges.

Doesn't? Surely to avoid skimming you would use tapered edge boards then
tape and fill the joints ready for basecoat. (Said with a hallway full of
t/e boards)

Toby.

If you're going to tape and fill joints, then you're half way to skimming
the whole lot. With straight edge boards, all you need is a squirt of
decorators caulk down the seams to finish them off.

Niel A. Farrow

In article ,
BillR wrote:
jak wrote:
[...]

I'm just about to cover the inside brick walls of my outhouse with
polystyrene backed insulation board. Comes in a variety of thicknesses.
I'm using 8' x 4' sheets of 22 mm thick (£9.85 incl. vat) and 40 mm
(£15.82 incl vat) from a local BM. Phone around for best prices. Use
plasterboard adhesive to stick it to the walls.
Neil