toller

Default An odd valve

I was cleaning out a storage shed prior to tearing it down, and found a can
of pipe fittings.

There was a brass valve, with a piece of rectangular stock with a hole
through it on the top, and a screw/washer/nut on the bottom.
Looking into the valve, there is a slot on each end. It wouldn't turn, so I
took it apart and found that there is a tapered cylinder in it, with a slot
corresponding to those in the body. Turned one way it blocks the water;
turned 90 degrees, it passes the water. (yes, pretty much like a ball
valve.)

So, my questions...
After cleaning, it works fine, but I presume it needs some sort of grease
between the body and cylinder. I have some "plumbers grease". Is that
okay, or do I need something else?
I have never seen a valve like this before. It seems to be in good
condition, but should I toss it and get a $8 ball valve, or is it
worthwhile? (I only started doing plumbing stuff a few years ago, so if it
went out of style 10 years ago, it is ancient to me...)

Speedy Jim

toller wrote:

[...]

It's a plug valve with a tapered stem, commonly used
on low pressure gas service.

They were common 50 years ago but wouldn't pass today.
Polish it up and keep it.

Jim
toller

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
toller wrote:

[...]

That makes sense; it was in with a bunch of flare fittings, which were
probably for the propane system. Thanks.

Stormin Mormon

As a heating and AC guy, I've seen a bunch of what you describe. It's used
for natural gas. I see them frequently. The grease dries up. You can clean
it out with some solvent (gasoline, kerosene, ether spray) and regrease it.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"toller" wrote in message
[...]

Duane Bozarth

Speedy Jim wrote:

toller wrote:

I was cleaning out a storage shed prior to tearing it down, and found a can
of pipe fittings.

There was a brass valve, with a piece of rectangular stock with a hole
through it on the top, and a screw/washer/nut on the bottom.
Looking into the valve, there is a slot on each end. It wouldn't turn, so I
took it apart and found that there is a tapered cylinder in it, with a slot
corresponding to those in the body. Turned one way it blocks the water;
turned 90 degrees, it passes the water. (yes, pretty much like a ball
valve.)

It's a plug valve with a tapered stem, commonly used
on low pressure gas service.

They were common 50 years ago but wouldn't pass today.
Polish it up and keep it.

That so? I thought I saw some on the shelf at supply house just
recently...maybe I was mistaken (or they're really old, that place
probably never threw anything out)...

Do you consider there to be any real problem w/ them? There must be 20
around the place here on all the outbuildings, etc., ...

Speedy Jim

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:

toller wrote:

[...]

Eventually the grease dries out, the taper loosens and you
have a (small) gas leak. Whether that's a problem all depends...

It's just that there are better valves for gas service today
so one wouldn't use them on a new install.

Jim
zxcvbob

toller wrote:
[...]

It sounds to me like it is a natural gas valve rather than water. I'd
keep it for maybe some day using for compressed air, etc.

Bob
Duane Bozarth

zxcvbob wrote:

toller wrote:
I was cleaning out a storage shed prior to tearing it down, and found a can
of pipe fittings.

There was a brass valve, with a piece of rectangular stock with a hole
through it on the top, and a screw/washer/nut on the bottom.
Looking into the valve, there is a slot on each end. It wouldn't turn, so I
took it apart and found that there is a tapered cylinder in it, with a slot
corresponding to those in the body. Turned one way it blocks the water;
turned 90 degrees, it passes the water. (yes, pretty much like a ball
valve.)

It sounds to me like it is a natural gas valve rather than water. I'd
keep it for maybe some day using for compressed air, etc.

It is, but almost certainly not rated for anything except low
pressure...applying it to compressed air line would almost certainly be
a mistake.