toller

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
toller wrote:

I was cleaning out a storage shed prior to tearing it down, and found a
can of pipe fittings.

There was a brass valve, with a piece of rectangular stock with a hole
through it on the top, and a screw/washer/nut on the bottom.
Looking into the valve, there is a slot on each end. It wouldn't turn,
so I took it apart and found that there is a tapered cylinder in it, with
a slot corresponding to those in the body. Turned one way it blocks the
water; turned 90 degrees, it passes the water. (yes, pretty much like a
ball valve.)

So, my questions...
After cleaning, it works fine, but I presume it needs some sort of grease
between the body and cylinder. I have some "plumbers grease". Is that
okay, or do I need something else?
I have never seen a valve like this before. It seems to be in good
condition, but should I toss it and get a $8 ball valve, or is it
worthwhile? (I only started doing plumbing stuff a few years ago, so if
it went out of style 10 years ago, it is ancient to me...)

It's a plug valve with a tapered stem, commonly used
on low pressure gas service.

They were common 50 years ago but wouldn't pass today.
Polish it up and keep it.

That makes sense; it was in with a bunch of flare fittings, which were
probably for the propane system. Thanks.