Duane Bozarth

Speedy Jim wrote:

toller wrote:

I was cleaning out a storage shed prior to tearing it down, and found a can
of pipe fittings.

There was a brass valve, with a piece of rectangular stock with a hole
through it on the top, and a screw/washer/nut on the bottom.
Looking into the valve, there is a slot on each end. It wouldn't turn, so I
took it apart and found that there is a tapered cylinder in it, with a slot
corresponding to those in the body. Turned one way it blocks the water;
turned 90 degrees, it passes the water. (yes, pretty much like a ball
valve.)

It's a plug valve with a tapered stem, commonly used
on low pressure gas service.

They were common 50 years ago but wouldn't pass today.
Polish it up and keep it.

That so? I thought I saw some on the shelf at supply house just
recently...maybe I was mistaken (or they're really old, that place
probably never threw anything out)...

Do you consider there to be any real problem w/ them? There must be 20
around the place here on all the outbuildings, etc., ...