Mikepier

Default What is this screw on toilet ballcock?

I have a Kohler Rialto one piece toilet that occassionaly does not have
a good flush. I believe it is because the bowl does not fill with water
completely after a flush. I have adjusted the float, and the flapper is
working fine. There is a diverter valve in the tank with a float, but I
do not believe it is adjustable. Then I noticed on my ballcock valve
there is a plastic adjusting screw on the side. Look at this figure.
The screw is on the right side:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/fillvalve-1b1x.jpg

What is this screw for?

Joseph Meehan

Mikepier wrote:
I have a Kohler Rialto one piece toilet that occassionaly does not have
a good flush. I believe it is because the bowl does not fill with
water completely after a flush. I have adjusted the float, and the
flapper is working fine. There is a diverter valve in the tank with a
float, but I do not believe it is adjustable. Then I noticed on my
ballcock valve there is a plastic adjusting screw on the side. Look
at this figure. The screw is on the right side:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/fillvalve-1b1x.jpg

What is this screw for?

I am not sure but I believe what looks like a screw going into the side
at the top of the unit adjust the refill rate (really a guess) I suspect
there is a screw on the top that will adjust the height (float valve) of the
fill.

That said, I doubt if your problem is there. I suspect if you just hold
the handle down a little longer when you need a little extra flush, it will
take car of the problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mikepier

The screw on top is for the float. That is not the problem. The screw I
am referring to in the figure is on the top right side. Holding down
the flush lever does not really help. All the water is emptying from
the tank OK. The problem is there is not a lot of water in the bowl
initially to get the flush process going.
When the bowl has a lot of water, it flushes fine.

Joseph Meehan

Mikepier wrote:
The screw on top is for the float. That is not the problem. The screw
I am referring to in the figure is on the top right side. Holding down
the flush lever does not really help. All the water is emptying from
the tank OK. The problem is there is not a lot of water in the bowl
initially to get the flush process going.
When the bowl has a lot of water, it flushes fine.

So you are saying the amount of water in the bowl between the flushs
varies? Most designs have a plastic or metal tube that feeds a small amount
of water into the bowl by way of the overflow pipe as the tank fills. This
is how the bowl is refilled. If this is not done, then the bowl will often
not be refilled to it's design depth.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mikepier

Correct. But on my toilet the bowl gets filled throught a seperate tube
which rather than going throught the overflow pipe, get fed directly
into the bowl, until the float for the diverter valve stops it,
diverting the water in the tank. The float is mounted on the diverter
valve shaft with a screw, but the shaft is keyed, so I can't adjust it.

Sylvan Butler

On 28 May 2005 05:03:18 -0700, Mikepier wrote:
a good flush. I believe it is because the bowl does not fill with water
completely after a flush. I have adjusted the float, and the flapper is

Neither of which have much to do with filling the bowl...

there is a plastic adjusting screw on the side. Look at this figure.
The screw is on the right side:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/fillvalve-1b1x.jpg
What is this screw for?

Couldn't tell you. But from the diagram I don't think it has anything
to do with the problem.

The hose coming from the side of the fill valve should be directed into
the overflow. The water coming from this hose fills the bowl while the
main flow from the fill valve fills the tank until stopped by the float.

In other words, is water coming from the hose, and is it all going down
the overflow tube? If so, the bowl should fill. If it doesn't, perhaps
that plastic screw does adjust the flow thru that hose. Remember (or
mark) the starting position and try turning it a turn or two and see.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
[...]

And it is possible that a crack internally can be draining the level
down.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mikepier

In other words, is water coming from the hose, and is it all going down

the overflow tube?

As I said in my previous post, the tube gets fed directly into the bowl
through the casting of the tank. It does not go into the overflow tube.

And it is possible that a crack internally can be draining the level
down.

If it happened everytime, yes it is possible. But it only happens
occasionally

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mikepier, Ken Brose wrote:
It controls the amount of water that goes into the bowl.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-655775-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 3:14:10 PM UTC-5, Ken Brose wrote:

replying to Mikepier, Ken Brose wrote:
It controls the amount of water that goes into the bowl.

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-655775-.htm

SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD post, ace. But no matter, Mikepier got tired
of waiting on your reply so he ripped the toilet out and now just
pees in his yard. I'm not going to mention where he takes a dump.

HomeMoanersHub strikes again!!!! Make that HomeMORONShub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 5:11:41 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 3:14:10 PM UTC-5, Ken Brose wrote:

replying to Mikepier, Ken Brose wrote:
It controls the amount of water that goes into the bowl.

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-655775-.htm

SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD post, ace. But no matter, Mikepier got tired
of waiting on your reply so he ripped the toilet out and now just
pees in his yard. I'm not going to mention where he takes a dump.

HomeMoanersHub strikes again!!!! Make that HomeMORONShub.

The gerbils, don't forget the gerbils! ヽ(^o^)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 6:05:25 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 5:11:41 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 3:14:10 PM UTC-5, Ken Brose wrote:

replying to Mikepier, Ken Brose wrote:
It controls the amount of water that goes into the bowl.

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-655775-.htm

SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD post, ace. But no matter, Mikepier got tired
of waiting on your reply so he ripped the toilet out and now just
pees in his yard. I'm not going to mention where he takes a dump.

HomeMoanersHub strikes again!!!! Make that HomeMORONShub.

The gerbils, don't forget the gerbils! ヽ(^o^)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster

OOPS, sorry about those ravenous little monsters!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:36:47 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 6:05:25 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 5:11:41 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 3:14:10 PM UTC-5, Ken Brose wrote:

replying to Mikepier, Ken Brose wrote:
It controls the amount of water that goes into the bowl.

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-655775-.htm

SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD post, ace. But no matter, Mikepier got tired
of waiting on your reply so he ripped the toilet out and now just
pees in his yard. I'm not going to mention where he takes a dump.

HomeMoanersHub strikes again!!!! Make that HomeMORONShub.

The gerbils, don't forget the gerbils! ヽ(^o^)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster

OOPS, sorry about those ravenous little monsters!!!

The gerbils are offended that you first left them out. You must make a sacrifice to the gerbil gods. An annoying small child or one of those little dogs that yips incessantly will do. Make sure to use plenty of sweet barbecue sauce because the gerbils really like it. I like the toes on the small children because that's the crunchy part. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

[8~{} Uncle Barbecued Monster