Default Plastic table top

Can anyone suggest how to find this type of product. Recently broke a
patio table top that's dimension is 55 inches square. Most products
come with a max of 48 inches. I would like to fine something that would
be approx 3/16" thick piece of plastic (not glass again) and have
checked with home depot etc and seem to draw a blank. Any suggestions
on what I could do other than piecing it into sections.
David...

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone suggest how to find this type of product. Recently broke a
patio table top that's dimension is 55 inches square. Most products
come with a max of 48 inches. I would like to fine something that would
be approx 3/16" thick piece of plastic (not glass again) and have
checked with home depot etc and seem to draw a blank. Any suggestions
on what I could do other than piecing it into sections.
David...

Contact a local glass company. I know you can get 1/4" lexan or plastic.
They cut it from really big sheets.

I will warn you that it will get ugly real quick because it will scratch
very easy. If it last that long it will also cloud over time due to the UV
rays and weather. It will also cost more than glass and you may have hand
sand the edges yourself.

Colbyt

Gideon

David,

I've been in your situation in the past. A replacement piece of
tempered glass for the patio table costs more than the table.

Table sizes are somewhat standard. I found a neighbor selling
a patio table in a garage sell for $20. The table was fairly beat
up, but the glass top was ok. I bought the table, inserted the
glass in my table, and tossed his beat up frame into the trash.

I also learned to toss a sandbag on top of the patio table when
the weathermen are predicting strong winds. The umbrella must
also be folded up and, better yet, removed before a storm. I
estimate that there were over 3000 tiny pieces of tempered
glass on the patio after the windstorm tipped over our patio table.
(Yes, I am extremely good at estimating). A concrete filled
umbrella anchor also helps.

You are going to have a difficult time finding an inexpensive replacement
table top that you will be happy with. You could check around on
plexiglass suppliers in your area, but you will probably have to
purchase a 4'x8' sheet of 3/16" plexiglass (acrylic sheet) and the cost
will be over $100. You could buy a new table for that price. And
with the new table, you will have a top which won't scratch easily.

You could make a plywood top, but it will need bracing since even
an oversized 1/4" (4/16") sheet of plywood won't be very strong. And
it is going to look pretty crappy. And it won't look as nice. And
it will need maintenance. And you won't be able to check out the
legs of your female guests.

If you are extremely luck, you may spot something sitting out on
trash day which could be cut and improvised for a table top. It will
be free and the regulars on this newsgroup know that I'm a big
advocate of putting trash to use.

Do NOT use standard glass for a patio table top. Do NOT consider
cutting down a piece of tempered glass to fit your table - glass can
only be cut BEFORE it is tempered. (Been there; done that.)
Do not consider paying somebody to temper a piece of glass after
you have cut it to size - that is way too expensive.

Good luck,
Gideon

Norminn

clipped

Do NOT use standard glass for a patio table top. Do NOT consider
cutting down a piece of tempered glass to fit your table - glass can
only be cut BEFORE it is tempered. (Been there; done that.)
Do not consider paying somebody to temper a piece of glass after
you have cut it to size - that is way too expensive.

Good luck,
Gideon

We had glass cut and tempered for a backsplash in our kitchen - I
believe it was about $60. About 18" x 72"? A 55" piece is another
story, but since the OP is into scavenging parts, the table might be
altered to take two or four smaller pieces which might cost less? I
like metal mesh, myself, since hurricanes blow through here so often.
Less than hurricane force winds, I just turn it upside down. Nice for
propping good stuff on top of when 15' storm surges expected. And I
don't need to wipe it off )

Gideon

Thanks for the update on tempered glass pricing. Extrapolating
you $60 to a 55" x 55" piece gives us a price of $140.05 for his
requirement. A nw table is cheaper. Of course, the 55x55 piece
could be a bit less since the price of custom tempered glass is
not linear. Smaller pieces are more expensive per square foot.

Also, the original poster would probably pay a few extra dollars
for rounded corners and even more for rolled and polished edges
if desired.

Gideon

====================

Norminn wrote
We had glass cut and tempered for a backsplash in our kitchen - I
believe it was about $60. About 18" x 72"? A 55" piece is another
story, but since the OP is into scavenging parts, the table might be
altered to take two or four smaller pieces which might cost less? I
like metal mesh, myself, since hurricanes blow through here so often.
Less than hurricane force winds, I just turn it upside down. Nice for
propping good stuff on top of when 15' storm surges expected. And I
don't need to wipe it off )

Ross Mac

"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

[...]

You mean you don't toss your patio furniture into the pool like so many do
in hurricane country???..... :)...Ross

Ross Mac

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone suggest how to find this type of product. Recently broke a
patio table top that's dimension is 55 inches square. Most products
come with a max of 48 inches. I would like to fine something that would
be approx 3/16" thick piece of plastic (not glass again) and have
checked with home depot etc and seem to draw a blank. Any suggestions
on what I could do other than piecing it into sections.
David...

I would give up on the plastic idea...After a summer in the sun it will most
likely turn yellow and look like a potato chip.....It's new table
time....good luck, Ross

Norminn

clipped

You mean you don't toss your patio furniture into the pool like so many do
in hurricane country???..... :)...Ross

Don't have a pool. We haul everything into the house for real hurricane
warnings. Disaster prep includes putting stuff up as high as possible,
since we live on ground floor on a channel. 12' storm surge would be
problematic.

I like metal mesh,
myself, since hurricanes blow through here so often.

So are you talking abt that heavy black metal mesh mad
of some kind of iron or steel?

If yes..... you feel that's bets for patio furniture?