Kathy

Default Poison Ivy

I have Poison Ivy growing up the sides of my house.
It has run up to the second floor and is now
chasing the eaves. It seems like its doubling in
volume in a few days. Does anyone have any tips on
getting rid of this short of burning the house
down. I've called a bunch of lanscapers and the
only one who would give me a price wants nearly
$1000. to take it down. The must be something
similar to paraquat that I can spray on it. Anyone
know the name of the chemicals I should be looking
for? I've sprayed it with Round-up from home depot
and it just wilted it a little. In a few days you
couldn't even tell. This is my mission for this
weekend. Advice will be appriciated and snide
remarks or wise cracks will, of course, be
tolerated. (After all, this is usenet.)

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

Kathy

jeffc

I haven't had any trouble killing poison ivy with a poison ivy-specific
killer. It needs to be made for "brushy" (woody) plants.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kathy" wrote in message

for? I've sprayed it with Round-up from home depot
and it just wilted it a little. In a few days you
couldn't even tell. This is my mission for this
weekend. Advice will be appriciated and snide
remarks or wise cracks will, of course, be
tolerated. (After all, this is usenet.)

One thing you can do is (carefully and wearing gloves and long sleeves) is
clip the stems at the bottom and the parts above will die.

Once that is done, the sprays may work better on the roots as there is less
of a network of leaves to gather nourishment.

Are you positive this is poison ivy?
Could it be Virginia Creeper?
Try alt.landscape.architecture with a link to an image.
Try your local extension agent.

Even if it is not poison ivy, vines can cause damage to buildings.
TB

Phisherman

This is not a "weekend mission" but a long-term plan. An established
poison ivy plant will take 2 or 3 applications of RoundUp to take
effect. Apply the RoundUp to ALL the green leaves. Wait two weeks
and apply again. In two more weeks spray again if you see any green
leaves. The dead vine will remain "potent" with the oil for a year.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:01:22 -0400, "Kathy"
wrote:

I have Poison Ivy growing up the sides of my house.
It has run up to the second floor and is now
chasing the eaves. It seems like its doubling in
volume in a few days. Does anyone have any tips on
getting rid of this short of burning the house
down. I've called a bunch of lanscapers and the
only one who would give me a price wants nearly
$1000. to take it down. The must be something
similar to paraquat that I can spray on it. Anyone
know the name of the chemicals I should be looking
for? I've sprayed it with Round-up from home depot
and it just wilted it a little. In a few days you
couldn't even tell. This is my mission for this
weekend. Advice will be appriciated and snide
remarks or wise cracks will, of course, be
tolerated. (After all, this is usenet.)

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

Kathy

Also make sure the Roundup you use is strong enough. I'd go with a 10%
solution to deal with poison ivy. Get the concentrate and apply it
with a tank sprayer, not the weak pre-mixed stuff, which is around 1%
and fine for general weeds. Also, you can get an additive that can
be used with any spray that make it stick to the leaves better. This
is important with poison ivy because the leaves are slick and oily, so
a lot of the spray tends to run off. That's one of the reasons you
need the Roundup to be strong. There are also other herbicides that
are labeled as brush killer that are effective as well.

Pat

Garlon.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have Poison Ivy growing up the sides of my house.
It has run up to the second floor and is now
chasing the eaves. It seems like its doubling in
volume in a few days. Does anyone have any tips on
getting rid of this short of burning the house
down. I've called a bunch of lanscapers and the
only one who would give me a price wants nearly
$1000. to take it down. The must be something
similar to paraquat that I can spray on it. Anyone
know the name of the chemicals I should be looking
for? I've sprayed it with Round-up from home depot
and it just wilted it a little. In a few days you
couldn't even tell. This is my mission for this
weekend. Advice will be appriciated and snide
remarks or wise cracks will, of course, be
tolerated. (After all, this is usenet.)

Suggest spray with liquefied Beef Jerky--dilute sufficiently and you have a
marketable commodity.....

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

It's definately nasty ****, Kath.

Perhaps ( carefully ) beat it with a baseball bat first to injure the plant
tissue. Then spray....the injured tissue will likely intake any available
moisture in humidity from the available air rather than to dessicate..

Well to note probly additional urushiol is rapidly exuded in order to help
protect the plant after any tissue injury.....

If its only a few plants, suggest snip at the base--everything above should
die, this due to the subsequent inability to uptake water into the above
plant tissue.

Brush round-up at full strength on the cambium layer of any the root bases
that are left in the soil.

Treat any plant material removed as being highly hazardous......suggest
dispose onsite via deep burial....else bag and send to an approved landfill
( clearly mark the bags )

--

SVL

James

Anyone able to interpet what this sentence means??

------------------------------------

Well to note probly additional urushiol is rapidly exuded in order to help
protect the plant after any tissue injury.....

William W. Plummer

Kathy wrote:
I have Poison Ivy growing up the sides of my house.
It has run up to the second floor and is now
chasing the eaves. It seems like its doubling in
volume in a few days. Does anyone have any tips on
getting rid of this short of burning the house
down. I've called a bunch of lanscapers and the
only one who would give me a price wants nearly
$1000. to take it down. The must be something
similar to paraquat that I can spray on it. Anyone
know the name of the chemicals I should be looking
for? I've sprayed it with Round-up from home depot
and it just wilted it a little. In a few days you
couldn't even tell. This is my mission for this
weekend. Advice will be appriciated and snide
remarks or wise cracks will, of course, be
tolerated. (After all, this is usenet.)

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

Kathy

Kathy, There are "Poison Ivy Killers" made specifically for this
purpose. They usually have a directed spray so you can pinpoint where
it gets applied. That's important because a spray mist would takeout
many of your desirable plants nearby.

Do not snip the plant near the ground until it is dead. You want the
killer to be transported to the roots.

Expect to apply at least 3 times, a week apart. Check the label.

When the poison ivy is dead, you can carefully remove the plants and any
roots you can early pull up. But it may take until Fall for this. Wear
cheap clothes and gloves and dispose (not burn) every when you're
finished. We used to bathe in Fells Naptha soap afterwards. (I always
suspected that was an early version of an acid peal!).

Edwin Pawlowski

"James" wrote in message
Anyone able to interpet what this sentence means??

------------------------------------

Well to note probly additional urushiol is rapidly exuded in order to help
protect the plant after any tissue injury.....

She/he should pay attention to the fact that the plant (poison ivy) will
give off a lot of urushiol (what makes it poison) when the vines or leaves
are damaged in order to protect itself. Sort of like the white or red blood
cells (can never recall which it is) in our bodies fight an injury, scrape,
cut, etc.

Does that help?

Kathy

"William W. Plummer"
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your input. This is going to be a lot
harder than I thought. I have to get rid of it
before fall because I'd like to have siding put on
my house soon and the contractors have all said
they won't deal with the poison ivy. I searched the
web and found 2 chemicals that should be able to
kill it. Glyphasate and triclopyr. I am going to
try and find a concentrate of one of them. Another
poster suggested Garlon but I don't see that for
being for poison ivy, just blackberries. I've got
the sprayer but I think I'll get another to use
just for poisons. I plan on getting those paper
suits and coving every inch of my body. I wish I
had a friend who wasn't allergic!

Thanks again to all who responded.

There is definitely poison ivy that grows as a vine. I just whacked
some here in NJ yesterday that was growing up a tree in the woods at
the border of my lawn. The root was about 1 1/2" in diameter at the
base. It went a good 20+ feet up the tree. You're right about needing
the Roundup to be strong. I used it at about 10%, whiere 1 or 2% is
fine for most common broadleaf weeds and grass.

red

Kathy wrote:

I have Poison Ivy growing up the sides of my house.
It has run up to the second floor and is now
chasing the eaves. It seems like its doubling in
volume in a few days. Does anyone have any tips on
getting rid of this short of burning the house
down. I've called a bunch of lanscapers and the
only one who would give me a price wants nearly
$1000. to take it down. The must be something
similar to paraquat that I can spray on it. Anyone
know the name of the chemicals I should be looking
for? I've sprayed it with Round-up from home depot
and it just wilted it a little. In a few days you
couldn't even tell. This is my mission for this
weekend. Advice will be appriciated and snide
remarks or wise cracks will, of course, be
tolerated. (After all, this is usenet.)

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

Kathy

I cur it off at the base and let the vines die, then when the roots
start to put out new ivy in a few weeks or a month and it is a small
area of green then I hit it with round up. Kills it dead without using
a lot of chemical. make sure to cover up when working with the ivy or
poison. By then the vines have died and removal is less hazardous.
And whenever I mess with poison ivy I clean up with orange gojo any
where I might be contaminated before turning on the shower, really cuts
the oil of the plant off your body.
HeyBub

Kathy wrote:
I have Poison Ivy growing up the sides of my house.
It has run up to the second floor and is now
chasing the eaves. It seems like its doubling in
volume in a few days. Does anyone have any tips on
getting rid of this short of burning the house
down. I've called a bunch of lanscapers and the
only one who would give me a price wants nearly
$1000. to take it down. The must be something
similar to paraquat that I can spray on it. Anyone
know the name of the chemicals I should be looking
for? I've sprayed it with Round-up from home depot
and it just wilted it a little. In a few days you
couldn't even tell. This is my mission for this
weekend. Advice will be appriciated and snide
remarks or wise cracks will, of course, be
tolerated. (After all, this is usenet.)

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

Kathy

Clip at the bottom. Cover stem with coffee can.

Paul Franklin

On 14 May 2005 12:06:19 -0700, wrote:

There is definitely poison ivy that grows as a vine. I just whacked
some here in NJ yesterday that was growing up a tree in the woods at
the border of my lawn. The root was about 1 1/2" in diameter at the
base. It went a good 20+ feet up the tree. You're right about needing
the Roundup to be strong. I used it at about 10%, whiere 1 or 2% is
fine for most common broadleaf weeds and grass.

Yes, I have the vines as well, and they grow like crazy!

They do make a brush killer labeled for poison ivy, but I've had good
luck doing the following:

I cut the vine a foot or two from the last root. I take a small
container of full strength roundup, and dip the cut end of the vine
(the part that is still rooted in the ground) into the pure roundup
and leave it for several minutes. (when I'm working with the ivy I
wear protective clothes, gloves, and eye protection.)

This usually kills the vine within a week or two. It's a pain to do a
bunch of vines, but it works. I've thought about an alternate method,
but haven't tried it yet. Cut the vines as above. take a cotton ball
and dip it into full strength roundup. Place on the end of the vine,
and cover with a piece of aluminum foil crumpled to hold it on the
vine. With this method, you could do a whole bunch without taking the
time to soak each vine. If you try this, be sure to collect the foil
pieces and cotton balls and dispose of properly.

While we're on the subject, a company called Gemplers
(
www.gemplers.com) sells a product called (IIRC) Technu, that you wash
with after exposure to poison ivy or related nasty. It claims to be
effective even when used hours after exposure. When I'm out mucking
around in the areas I know there is ivy, I wash off my arms and legs
with it afterward, and it really does seem to work. It's a lot less
messy than those barrier lotions you put on ahead of time.

Insert usual disclaimers.

HTH,

Paul

PrecisionMachinisT

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"James" wrote in message
Anyone able to interpet what this sentence means??

------------------------------------

Well to note probly additional urushiol is rapidly exuded in order to

help
protect the plant after any tissue injury.....

She/he should pay attention to the fact that the plant (poison ivy) will
give off a lot of urushiol (what makes it poison) when the vines or leaves
are damaged in order to protect itself. Sort of like the white or red

blood
cells (can never recall which it is) in our bodies fight an injury,

scrape,
cut, etc.

Does that help?

Exactly...not sure this is in fact the case but IMO it does seem pretty
likely.

Poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac are all members of the genus
toxicohendron, and urishiol is the toxin common to all three of these plants
that is responsible for allergic dermatitus reaction in humans.

While it doesn't seem to bother me one bit, my wife is clinically
hypersensitive to the toxin and so it has been the subject of some fairly
in-depth study on my part.

I've been thinking about getting several goats, as we have about 3 acres of
fairly steep hillside that is more or less covered with poison oak.

One other thing.....DO NOT BURN IT !!!...deaths from inhalation of the smoke
do indeed occur on a fairly regular basis.

--

SVL

Kathy

wrote in message
ups.com...
There is definitely poison ivy that grows as a

vine. I just whacked
some here in NJ yesterday that was growing up a

tree in the woods at
the border of my lawn. The root was about 1 1/2"

in diameter at the
base. It went a good 20+ feet up the tree.

You're right about needing
the Roundup to be strong. I used it at about

10%, whiere 1 or 2% is
fine for most common broadleaf weeds and grass.

I'm in Burlington County. It's poison Ivy alright.

Bob S.

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac are all members of the genus
toxicohendron, and urishiol is the toxin common to all three of these

plants
that is responsible for allergic dermatitus reaction in humans.

Don't forget cashews - they are a first cousin to poison ivy. For
people who are hypersensitive to poison ivy (me included), eating more
than a small amount of cashew nuts causes a pretty bad internal
reaction.

While it doesn't seem to bother me one bit, my wife is clinically
hypersensitive to the toxin and so it has been the subject of some

fairly
in-depth study on my part.

Bob S.

Denys

wrote in
:

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:21:47 -0400, Paul Franklin
wrote:

On 14 May 2005 12:06:19 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

I vote to burn the house down.

I vote you go inside first.
Ed

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1015.html

Chris Lewis

According to Kathy :
Glyphasate and triclopyr. I am going to

Are you sure that's not Glysophate? That's Roundup.

Get the concentrated version, maybe mix it 2 or 3 times
stronger than the instructions, and add a teaspoon of
dishsoap per quart.

Put on some dishwashing rubber gloves.

Get some cheap cotton gloves, stuff with a little cotton
batten, and then put the gloves over the rubber gloves.

Dip your hand in the concentrate. "swipe" the plants
with your hands, so the whole plant (I'd cut the stems
a foot or two up, ignore the stuff above the cuts) gets
thoroughly dampened with the stuff.

[This is how a professional botanist eradicates the stuff.]

Glysophate is _quite_ innocuous to animals/humans, so this
is not dangerous. Just don't go overboard getting it on
you. Wash up, and dispose of the cotton. The rubber gloves
will be okay with a rinse.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
jeffc

"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't forget cashews - they are a first cousin to poison ivy. For
people who are hypersensitive to poison ivy (me included), eating more
than a small amount of cashew nuts causes a pretty bad internal
reaction.

That's odd - I'm very allergic to poison ivy, and I don't have the slightest
reaction to cashews.

Norminn

clipped

Glysophate is _quite_ innocuous to animals/humans, so this
is not dangerous. Just don't go overboard getting it on
you. Wash up, and dispose of the cotton. The rubber gloves
will be okay with a rinse.

Unless sensitive to poison ivy.

Oscar_Lives

WOW! I thought is was just me.

I can eat a few cashews, but more than a small handful make me sick as a
dog.

Thanks

"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac are all members of the genus
toxicohendron, and urishiol is the toxin common to all three of these

plants
that is responsible for allergic dermatitus reaction in humans.

Don't forget cashews - they are a first cousin to poison ivy. For
people who are hypersensitive to poison ivy (me included), eating more
than a small amount of cashew nuts causes a pretty bad internal
reaction.

While it doesn't seem to bother me one bit, my wife is clinically
hypersensitive to the toxin and so it has been the subject of some

fairly
in-depth study on my part.

Bob S.

Chris Lewis

According to Norminn :
clipped

Glysophate is _quite_ innocuous to animals/humans, so this
is not dangerous. Just don't go overboard getting it on
you. Wash up, and dispose of the cotton. The rubber gloves
will be okay with a rinse.

Unless sensitive to poison ivy.

Oops. Right. Make that "okay after a wash with strong soap".

[There'll be very little transfer in this situation, but better
safe than sorry.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Bleach + Drain Cleaner = Poison Gas Dave Home Repair 11 April 24th 05 04:29 PM
OT - poison ivy Harry Everhart Home Repair 50 April 10th 05 02:06 AM
Trapping attic mice amidst blown-in insulation Good Music Home Repair 15 December 3rd 04 01:57 PM
Poison Ivy Kirk Woodturning 37 January 31st 04 09:12 AM
Poison it! John Ings Metalworking 1 November 21st 03 08:38 PM