Eric and Megan Swope

Default hard to sweat spot

Hi everyone. I am replacing my outdoor spigot with a frost-free one. I need
to cut the 1/2 inch copper pipe to connect the frost-free spigot, and it is
in a tough to reach spot. I think I will be able to get it cut, but then
sweating it could be another story. Another user in this forum posted
recently that he used some sort of epoxy to put copper pipe together in lieu
of sweating, and it is going on 5 years that it has lasted. Anyone know
what this epoxy might be, he said he got it at Lowe's? Or any other ideas
in lieu of sweating? Thanks.

Charles Spitzer

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
newso8he.211$_f7.25@trndny01...
Hi everyone. I am replacing my outdoor spigot with a frost-free one. I
need to cut the 1/2 inch copper pipe to connect the frost-free spigot, and
it is in a tough to reach spot. I think I will be able to get it cut, but
then sweating it could be another story. Another user in this forum
posted recently that he used some sort of epoxy to put copper pipe
together in lieu of sweating, and it is going on 5 years that it has
lasted. Anyone know what this epoxy might be, he said he got it at
Lowe's? Or any other ideas in lieu of sweating? Thanks.

copper impregnated epoxy. available in box boxes.

Charles Spitzer

Thanks Charles. Would this be carried at Lowe's and HD, or do I need to
go to a plumbing supply house? Thanks.

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
newso8he.211$_f7.25@trndny01...
Hi everyone. I am replacing my outdoor spigot with a frost-free one. I
need to cut the 1/2 inch copper pipe to connect the frost-free spigot,
and it is in a tough to reach spot. I think I will be able to get it
cut, but then sweating it could be another story. Another user in this
forum posted recently that he used some sort of epoxy to put copper pipe
together in lieu of sweating, and it is going on 5 years that it has
lasted. Anyone know what this epoxy might be, he said he got it at
Lowe's? Or any other ideas in lieu of sweating? Thanks.

copper impregnated epoxy. available in box boxes.

big boxes have it (home depot/lowes/ace) etc. either in the glue/epoxy or
plumbing departments.

Ned Flanders

its going to be real funny when you rot your sill out.
Worst case attach some pex to the thing first then feed it in the hole, make
connection as soon as its feasible. Do yourself a favor and stay away from
goop.

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
newso8he.211$_f7.25@trndny01...
Another user in this forum posted recently that he used some sort of
epoxy to put copper pipe together in lieu of sweating, and it is going on
5 years that it has lasted. Anyone know what this epoxy might be, he said
he got it at Lowe's? Or any other ideas in lieu of sweating? Thanks.

I'd not trust epoxy for fittings. If it was so good, why are not plumbers
around the world using it on a regular basis? So what if it lasted 5 years,
how about year 6 or 7? What if it goes while you are away on vacation? I'd
want to see a lot of research and proven facts before I'd use it.

I'd figure a way to sweat it or cut in a different place.

Ralph Mowery

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
newso8he.211$_f7.25@trndny01...
Hi everyone. I am replacing my outdoor spigot with a frost-free one. I

need
to cut the 1/2 inch copper pipe to connect the frost-free spigot, and it

is
in a tough to reach spot. I think I will be able to get it cut, but then
sweating it could be another story. Another user in this forum posted
recently that he used some sort of epoxy to put copper pipe together in

lieu
of sweating, and it is going on 5 years that it has lasted. Anyone know
what this epoxy might be, he said he got it at Lowe's? Or any other ideas
in lieu of sweating? Thanks.

There are compression fittings you can use. YOu will have to cut the pipe
and maybe sweat a a short piece on the spigot before going into the tight
spot.

Eric and Megan Swope

thanks Ralph. does the compression fitting (which I am assuming includes
the compression rings and nuts) get sold as 1 piece, or do I have to buy the
compression ring and nuts separately?

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

Ralph Mowery

The plastic compression fitting is all in one bag. If not in a small
plastic bag, then it will be all together as one unit. YOu can get them at
Lowes or Home Depot. If you have ever seen the compression unions that
copper tubing is joined with , it is the same idea just plastic and will
hold for many years. I used some of them in my house that had copper pipe
and as it was an older house, the pipe developed pin hole leaks. Even
joined some plastic pipe to the copper pipe.

[...]

Ned Flanders

I would never use compression fitting here.
I would never use a plastic one anywhere.
The only compression fitting in house is at toilet supply and lav supply.

[...]

Sylvan Butler

On Fri, 13 May 2005 23:19:59 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
I'd not trust epoxy for fittings. If it was so good, why are not plumbers
around the world using it on a regular basis?

Maybe because a soldered joint is ready NOW. Epoxy takes time to cure.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com