Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Chris

Default Hard Water on Glass Door of Tub

I have hard water stains on a glass door of my tub that has acculated during
the past 4 years. I've tried scrubbing real hard with cleaning stuff, also
tried using CLR but neither made any difference. Is there something else
someone could recommend? I'm going to look into seeing how much it would
cost to replace the glass doors. I'm also getting a water softner next week
so that should help any future build up.

Thanks,
Chris

Harry K

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I have hard water stains on a glass door of my tub that has acculated during
the past 4 years. I've tried scrubbing real hard with cleaning stuff, also
tried using CLR but neither made any difference. Is there something else
someone could recommend? I'm going to look into seeing how much it would
cost to replace the glass doors. I'm also getting a water softner next week
so that should help any future build up.

Thanks,
Chris

I cured the problem before it began. Remodeled bathroom. Wife wanted
glass doors. Walked her over to neighbors and asked if we could look
at theirs. Then asked wife how much work she -really- wanted to do
keeping a glass door looking good. Instant decision to go with shower
curtains that can be tossed in the washer.

Harry K
Chris

"Harry K" wrote in message
om...

I cured the problem before it began. Remodeled bathroom. Wife wanted
glass doors. Walked her over to neighbors and asked if we could look
at theirs. Then asked wife how much work she -really- wanted to do
keeping a glass door looking good. Instant decision to go with shower
curtains that can be tossed in the washer.

Well If I ever do have to replace the tub/shower then I'd probably get one
with a shower curtain instead. But can't use a shower curtain now because
of the oval shape of the tub.

Chris

Bill Seurer

Harry K wrote:
I cured the problem before it began. Remodeled bathroom. Wife wanted
glass doors. Walked her over to neighbors and asked if we could look
at theirs. Then asked wife how much work she -really- wanted to do
keeping a glass door looking good. Instant decision to go with shower
curtains that can be tossed in the washer.

You can't take 10 seconds at the end of a shower to squeegie off the
glass? That takes care of 90%+ of the problem right there.

Dorot29701

I started using Comet spray after replacing one shower door because it was
recommended by the maker. It worked pretty well on the old door in the other
bathroom, but I found that after I cleaned the old door - the aluminum would be
shiny but after a few minutes, the glass looked pretty much the same as before
cleaning. This happened with everything I tried. The Comet worked the best
overall. I tried CLR, Lime Away and plain white vinegar and none of them did a
very good job on the glass.

Dorothy

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Chris" wrote:

Well If I ever do have to replace the tub/shower then I'd probably get one
with a shower curtain instead. But can't use a shower curtain now because
of the oval shape of the tub.

My next house will have neither. With the proper design, you shouldn't need a
curtain or door. At most, a tile or block wall for privacy...
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Bill Seurer Bill_AT_seurer.net wrote:

You can't take 10 seconds at the end of a shower to squeegie off the
glass? That takes care of 90%+ of the problem right there.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Most sliding glass doors overlap by six inches or so.
That's where the deposits appear and can't easily be ceaned off without removing
the door from the track....
Anthony Matonak

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
"Chris" wrote:

Well If I ever do have to replace the tub/shower then I'd probably get one
with a shower curtain instead. But can't use a shower curtain now because
of the oval shape of the tub.

My next house will have neither. With the proper design, you shouldn't need a
curtain or door. At most, a tile or block wall for privacy...

Alas, this "proper design" would typically require more room than is
given to the average shower or tub.

Anthony

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Anthony Matonak wrote:

My next house will have neither. With the proper design, you shouldn't need a
curtain or door. At most, a tile or block wall for privacy...

Alas, this "proper design" would typically require more room than is
given to the average shower or tub.

True! But I can dream...
Bill Seurer

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Most sliding glass doors overlap by six inches or so.
That's where the deposits appear and can't easily be ceaned off without removing
the door from the track....

Never had one with a sliding door; ours swings open. The squeegie and
monthly cleanings have left them in great shape after 7 years of showers.

Bill Seurer

Chris wrote:

Well If I ever do have to replace the tub/shower then I'd probably get one
with a shower curtain instead. But can't use a shower curtain now because
of the oval shape of the tub.

Actually, you could get a curved rod and if mounted right it would work
fine with a curtain.

Charlie Spitzer

"Una" wrote in message ...
Chris wrote:
I have hard water stains on a glass door of my tub that has acculated

during
the past 4 years.

One thing does work, guaranteed: automobile paint polishing
compound and a lot of elbow grease.

Una

apply rain-x monthly