G. Grant

Default Miter saw as a metal cut saw?

Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal? Abrasive chop saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds (3900 - 5000 rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If not, please explain why.
Thanks!

Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"G. Grant" wrote in message
Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal? Abrasive chop
saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds (3900 - 5000
rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If not, please explain why.
Thanks!

Greg

Didn't you just ask this last week?

DanG

As far as I know, the only abrasive blades that you can buy with a
5/8 arbor hole are made for 7 1/4 circular saws. The larger
blades are 1" arbor. You certainly can put the abrasive blade on
your miter saw. It will pit the aluminum table, make the plastic
blade guard opaque and the grit will get into the pivot mechanism.

I guess it all boils down to how fancy of cuts you want to make in
wood after cutting the steel.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"G. Grant" wrote in message
Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal?
Abrasive chop saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds
(3900 - 5000 rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If not, please
explain why.
Thanks!

Greg

Pop

Yes. Just need the right blade for the right material.

BUT ... as someone else pointed out, if you plan to cut
a LOT of metal, you will run into some problems; sounds
like he used it like a production line.

You DO take a chance on where the "filings" go.
Sawdust inside a motor won't hurt much, but steel;
well, that's a different story. And if one should
stick inside a bearing guide anywhere, it'll cause more
problems.

I'd say for a one or two off, OK, else I'd bet a
Sawzall or something intended for the job, even a cheap
jig saw, depending on whether it'll handle the job.

It's best to keep the airhose handy, or have a good
strong fan blowing the material away from the
motor/bearing and adjustment mechanisms, and NOT where
anyone will walk into it, of course. Personally, I use
a fan and welding magnets. The magnets get most of it,
the fan gets the rest out of the area. I think g.
So far, several years, it's worked. I learned by
experience! Oh, and the guards can help a lot too of
course, but they will get non-transparent in a hurry,
so plan on new ones if you cut more than a second or
so of steel!

Pop

"G. Grant" wrote in message
Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous
metal? Abrasive chop saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar
speeds (3900 - 5000 rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If
not, please explain why.
Thanks!

Greg

Jerry

I put a metal cutting 10" blade on my Makita miter saw and cut a heavy
steel table saw fence down from 52" to 30".

Only thing I would caution is to protect the plastic zero insert plate
on the base as the metal will get hot and you don't want to melt it.
And cover other areas of the base as the half molten metal fragments
will get everywhere.

Rudy

Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal? Abrasive chop
saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds (3900 - 5000
rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm.

Yes, we did so with my friends 10" CMS. Used it to cut about 200 light ga
steel '2 by 4's' for framing his unfinished bsmt.
No damage to the saw but the plastic blade guard did get a little scratched.
His choice.

Tingle from metal lamp = dangerous? Bob Eager Home Repair 0 April 27th 05 09:22 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Band saws for wood and metal [email protected] Metalworking 15 January 26th 04 09:38 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM