Pop

Yes. Just need the right blade for the right material.

BUT ... as someone else pointed out, if you plan to cut
a LOT of metal, you will run into some problems; sounds
like he used it like a production line.

You DO take a chance on where the "filings" go.
Sawdust inside a motor won't hurt much, but steel;
well, that's a different story. And if one should
stick inside a bearing guide anywhere, it'll cause more
problems.

I'd say for a one or two off, OK, else I'd bet a
Sawzall or something intended for the job, even a cheap
jig saw, depending on whether it'll handle the job.

It's best to keep the airhose handy, or have a good
strong fan blowing the material away from the
motor/bearing and adjustment mechanisms, and NOT where
anyone will walk into it, of course. Personally, I use
a fan and welding magnets. The magnets get most of it,
the fan gets the rest out of the area. I think g.
So far, several years, it's worked. I learned by
experience! Oh, and the guards can help a lot too of
course, but they will get non-transparent in a hurry,
so plan on new ones if you cut more than a second or
so of steel!

Pop

"G. Grant" wrote in message
Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous
metal? Abrasive chop saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar
speeds (3900 - 5000 rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If
not, please explain why.
Thanks!

Greg