Default Certainteed Landmark TL Shingles Look Clunky

In the process of getting a home saleable, I paid over $10K to get
Certainteed Landmark TL shingles placed on the roof of the house. The
old shingles were completely ripped off.

The Certainteed tiles look like Chicklets in the sun, and to my eyes,
very unattractive during certain times of the day. The shadows make
your property appear to be a haunted mansion. Why all the hype about
these "architectural" shingles? They seem to weigh a ton, and initially
do not even lie flat. The brochures do not capture the clunky quality,
and make you think that you are getting a smoother, more uniform
product. Before you make a mistake, ask/demand to see a full-scale
example of the shingles on a real roof. You might hate 'em, or you
might love them.

Josh

wrote in message
In the process of getting a home saleable, I paid over $10K to get
Certainteed Landmark TL shingles placed on the roof of the house. The
old shingles were completely ripped off.

The Certainteed tiles look like Chicklets in the sun, and to my eyes,
very unattractive during certain times of the day. The shadows make
your property appear to be a haunted mansion. Why all the hype about
these "architectural" shingles? They seem to weigh a ton, and initially
do not even lie flat. The brochures do not capture the clunky quality,
and make you think that you are getting a smoother, more uniform
product. Before you make a mistake, ask/demand to see a full-scale
example of the shingles on a real roof. You might hate 'em, or you
might love them.

Were they installed correctly? Reason why I ask is, I was on a job which a
reputable company installed the TL and they covered the shadow line. They
actually had a 4" exposure instead of the 5". The owner mentioned the
company used approximately 25% more material than estimated. This roof
looked as you described.

Gary Dyrkacz

On 12 May 2005 22:24:04 -0700, wrote:

In the process of getting a home saleable, I paid over $10K to get
Certainteed Landmark TL shingles placed on the roof of the house. The
old shingles were completely ripped off.

The Certainteed tiles look like Chicklets in the sun, and to my eyes,
very unattractive during certain times of the day. The shadows make
your property appear to be a haunted mansion. Why all the hype about
these "architectural" shingles? They seem to weigh a ton, and initially
do not even lie flat. The brochures do not capture the clunky quality,
and make you think that you are getting a smoother, more uniform
product. Before you make a mistake, ask/demand to see a full-scale
example of the shingles on a real roof. You might hate 'em, or you
might love them.

I did a fair amount of homework before getting the Certainteed
Hallmark shangles for our house. For one they were already on the
house when we bought it so we had a pretty good idea of what they
would look like. However, there are quite a few styles, and we did
look at the Certainteed Landmark as a possible change. It was fairly
obvious to me from the pictures on Certainteed's web site that the
Landmark had very deep shadow lines. In addtion, while in the
decision process we would note house roofs. We saw a few homes with
the Landmark style or some other company equivalent, and decided
that the deep lines were going to dominate and darken the roof too
much for our roof pitch and house direction. However, iIn our case,
the Landmark style would have worked. Our house is a contemporary
style with rough channel cedar siding. The Landmark style would also
have likely complimented the rough exterior.
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/

I believe they were installed correctly. The company that put them in
has been on an ABC home improvement show (don't remember the name, but
it has the word extreme in it). Like water over the dam or shingles
over the roof, it's too late to change anything. Anyway, this roof
looks radically different whether you are standing on it or looking
from the ground up. That's why the photos in the brochure are
deceiving. Unless someone is 25 ft tall, and I'm not, Landmark TL does
not look good to my eyes.

I wish that I had studied more about the aesthetics of roof coverings,
because a design mistake of this magnitude a homeowner lives with for
40 years, basically a lifetime of ownership. I'm just hoping that in 10
years, the rain and the elements will have "thinned" out and faded the
shingles so they look more appealing.