Brandystew

Default Oil vs. gas furnace

I my be switching from oil hot water heat to a gas furnace this year. What
is a good brand of gas furnace?

Dave

borgunit

I can let you know that I have been disappointed with my Goodman and
you should look at others than this one.

stretch

Lennox, Trane, American Standard, Carrier, York. Don't get the least
expensive madel from anyone. Go at least middle price for good
quality. Most of these manufacturers have at least 5 lines of gas
furnaces.

Also make sure your contractor does a load calculation to determine the
proper size. A load calculation is NOT just the square feet of floor
area. They have to measure sqare feet of walls, windows, doors,
ceilings, floors. They have to know r-factors and what kind of windows
and which way they face. IF they don't do that, get another
contractor.

Stretch

I assume that when you mean furnace that you are going with forced hot
air.
(if you were sticking to hot water heat, you would have a boiler)

In any case I myself went from an oil to gas furnace a few years ago.

First and formost dont always go with the cheapest guy. Go with a
installer that had been around awhile and has a decent rep. Cant
hurt to check out you local BBB (better business) and see what
kind of complaints that they have. If they have 2 or so not big deal,
you cant make everyone happy.

As for brands, I went with a rheem 2 stage unit. Your price on the
unit
will vary with different features and model efficencies. If indeed you
are
going with a furnace, make sure to go with a decent air filter in
there.
I went with the middle of the line april air cartridge filter, no
complaints.

House is warm and I am happy.

Joseph Meehan

Brandystew wrote:
I my be switching from oil hot water heat to a gas furnace this year.
What is a good brand of gas furnace?

Dave

Far more important than the brand is the contractor. A good contractor
will not work with junk and a poor contractor can make the best equipment
work poorly and unreliable.

Find a good contractor (asking around is a good start) get more than one
estimate, and let the contractor guide you in the choice of brands for your
specific application.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit