Julie P.

Default Telephone questions

If I run a landline phone (as opposed to a cordless phone) through my
digital answering machine, will I still be able to use the phone if the
power goes out in my house? Or should I connect the phone directly to the
outlet and use a splitter for the answering machine?

Is there a limit to the amount of times you can split a phone line? I read
somewhere that you cannot spit a line more than five times. But can I take
one of the five split lines and split that again, into two more lines?

Thanks!

Art Todesco

You can "split," actually parallel, just about any
number of phones. However,
if your central office loop is exceptionally long,
you might have a problem with
some phones ringing. Most answering machines just
pass the 2 wires through.
You can experiment by plugging a phone into the
answering machine jack and
connect the line to the answering machine. Then,
unplug the power from the
anwering machine, simulating a power failure.
Check the phone ... it will
probably work. BTW, my neighbor has 8 phones in
his house. We used to
be 30K feet from the central office (this is a
long loop) and I assume it worked
ok otherwise he would have asked me to look at it.
Now we are only about
2 blocks from a remote underground vault, i.e we
can now get DSL .... YES!

Julie P. wrote:
If I run a landline phone (as opposed to a cordless phone) through my
digital answering machine, will I still be able to use the phone if the
power goes out in my house? Or should I connect the phone directly to the
outlet and use a splitter for the answering machine?

Is there a limit to the amount of times you can split a phone line? I read
somewhere that you cannot spit a line more than five times. But can I take
one of the five split lines and split that again, into two more lines?

Thanks!

Julie P.

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks Art! The longest stretch of line in my house would be no more than
150 feet from jack to phone.

I will try your test. I know my fax machine says its phone will not work if
the power goes out, so I assumed it would be similar with a line passing
through answering machine.

And I have noticed that one of my phones rings about two or three seconds
after the other does, although sometimes it rings at the same time. Strange.

Matt

Is there a limit to the amount of times you can split a phone line? I
read
somewhere that you cannot spit a line more than five times. But can I

take
one of the five split lines and split that again, into two more lines?

You can only split a line 5 times, this is true.

But yes, you can split each of the splits 5 times as well, and each of
those 5 times too.

The combined total of all the splits cannot exceed 2,500,000,197.2
though, so be careful.

If I run a landline phone (as opposed to a cordless phone) through my
digital answering machine, will I still be able to use the phone if

the
power goes out in my house? Or should I connect the phone directly to

the
outlet and use a splitter for the answering machine?

You can only lose power to your house if you hook more than one outlet
to a clothes hanger, and we all know no one would EVER do that, so why
worry?

Julie P.

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a limit to the amount of times you can split a phone line? I

read
somewhere that you cannot spit a line more than five times. But can I

take
one of the five split lines and split that again, into two more lines?

You can only split a line 5 times, this is true.

But yes, you can split each of the splits 5 times as well, and each of
those 5 times too.

The combined total of all the splits cannot exceed 2,500,000,197.2
though, so be careful.

Thanks. I have no more than 10 devices I need to connect to a phone line.

If I run a landline phone (as opposed to a cordless phone) through my
digital answering machine, will I still be able to use the phone if

the
power goes out in my house? Or should I connect the phone directly to

the
outlet and use a splitter for the answering machine?

You can only lose power to your house if you hook more than one outlet
to a clothes hanger, and we all know no one would EVER do that, so why
worry?

I just need an easy and quick way to ground a few outlets.

toller

I just need an easy and quick way to ground a few outlets.

You should be trying to correct the violations rather than creating more.
The code is to protect you and your house; it is not just some senseless
government gibberish like the tax code.
Any of your fixes will create ground loops that are potentially dangerous.
Well, they would create ground loops if you were actually doing anything,
which you probably aren't.

Julie P.

"toller" wrote in message
news
I just need an easy and quick way to ground a few outlets.

You should be trying to correct the violations rather than creating more.
The code is to protect you and your house; it is not just some senseless
government gibberish like the tax code.

Why? It is not my house. And the landlord won't do anything.

Any of your fixes will create ground loops that are potentially dangerous.
Well, they would create ground loops if you were actually doing anything,
which you probably aren't.

Because you guys have not given me any good advice! What is an easy way to
ground one or a few outlets?

Steve B.

On Thu, 5 May 2005 23:10:40 -0400, "Julie P."
wrote:

Because you guys have not given me any good advice! What is an easy way to
ground one or a few outlets?

Two problems here

#1 Your an idiot

#2 It isn't your house

Leave your landlords wiring alone. If you want something changed get
the landlord to do it or hire an electrician. One day, if he's lucky,
your going to move and the new tenants don't need the headache from
all the kludges you installed in the house with rigged up compressor
wiring and half assed grounded outlets.

Steve B.

#1 Your an idiot

#2 It isn't your house

Leave your landlords wiring alone. If you want something changed get
the landlord to do it or hire an electrician. One day, if he's lucky,
your going to move and the new tenants don't need the headache from
all the kludges you installed in the house with rigged up compressor
wiring and half assed grounded outlets.

Steve B.

You're an asshole. I would never leave the wiring I did installed after I
move out. And my landlord doesn't care about any modifications I make. Even
the modifications she made no not comply with code, and they were done by a
certified electrician. Now begone with you troll bitch.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Julie P." wrote in message
If I run a landline phone (as opposed to a cordless phone) through my
digital answering machine, will I still be able to use the phone if the
power goes out in my house?

Answering machine probly won't work, unless its battery powered.

But most phones are are still powered off of the telco line, at least the
last ones I checked.

Is there a limit to the amount of times you can split a phone line?

Just so long as the total number of devices doesn't exceed your telco's
published maximum REN limitation, otherwise they would need to reset at the
CO to insure that all your stations will ring on incoming calls--there are
usually added charges involved here.

You'll know you have too many ringers bridged to the line if some of the
bells only produce a partial or "sick sounding" ring...

Also realize that if you have several extension phones and then everybody in
the household picks up and is trying to listen in at the same time, you will
get a fairly large signal loss--often to the point where the conversation
may not even be audible at some or all of the stations.

--

SVL