Default Installing frameless shower door: How hard is it?

I've just ordered a frameless shower door -- specifically, a door and
an adjacent flat panel. The whole thing is about four feet wide (panel
and door) and 6'5" tall.

This is one of those ridiculously expensive -- but cool-looking --
shower doors that mounts with a couple of chrome brackets or "clips"
rather than the traditional channels.

After we got the bid, I noticed that about a third of the cost was
installation -- $500. So, I immediately said I'd do it myself. The
glass guy said OK, but did a lot of head-shaking and said, "We really
don't recommend that."

Has anyone installed one of these things? Is there some trick to it
that would justify paying anyone $500 to install it. I mean, you
measure carefully, drill and mount your brackets, right? Is there
anything I'm missing?

Mark

I got a frameless slider, installed it myself. Not that hard to
install. With the door system that you have the measurements have to
be spot on.
Its also important what the doors will be supported on. I assume that
they are going right into beams right? Doors were heavy as hell.
(3/8" glass)
One thing to be real careful about is handling the glass. Do NOT bang
it around when installing it. Any hard surface contact can shatter
that glass real easy.

Frank J Warner

In article . com,
wrote:

I've just ordered a frameless shower door -- specifically, a door and
an adjacent flat panel. The whole thing is about four feet wide (panel
and door) and 6'5" tall.

This is one of those ridiculously expensive -- but cool-looking --
shower doors that mounts with a couple of chrome brackets or "clips"
rather than the traditional channels.

After we got the bid, I noticed that about a third of the cost was
installation -- $500. So, I immediately said I'd do it myself. The
glass guy said OK, but did a lot of head-shaking and said, "We really
don't recommend that."

Has anyone installed one of these things? Is there some trick to it
that would justify paying anyone $500 to install it. I mean, you
measure carefully, drill and mount your brackets, right? Is there
anything I'm missing?

Mark

The devil's in the details, Mark. There are things you can't plan for
because you don't have the experience.

One good way to look at it is to recall all the specialized knowledge
you need to do your job well, or even adequately, whatever your job
might be. Maybe it's trading stock & bonds. To the rest of us, you're
just picking up the phone and yelling "buy!" Anybody can do that. But
you have to know when and why and to whom to yell it and for how much
and then keep records of the transaction and try not to go to jail in
the bargain.

You're paying for this guy's expertise as well as his labor. If he
screws up, you get a new shower door. If you screw up, at best you've
got a crooked shower door that never quite closes right. At worst
you've got a $1000 worth of broken glass on your bathroom floor.

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
Steve Manes

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:39:09 -0700, Frank J Warner
wrote:

You're paying for this guy's expertise as well as his labor. If he
screws up, you get a new shower door. If you screw up, at best you've
got a crooked shower door that never quite closes right. At worst
you've got a $1000 worth of broken glass on your bathroom floor.

Providing you can find a frameless shower surround that costs that
little g

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house

power/electric shower Graham Wilson UK diy 1 May 29th 04 01:07 PM
Shower Pump Martin UK diy 2 January 26th 04 10:23 PM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM
Dirty folk: third shower proposed! GB UK diy 8 September 10th 03 07:55 PM
New Condensing Boiler and Shower Bjorn UK diy 19 August 13th 03 03:54 PM