Hamilton Audio

Default fridge now freezing everything?

I've got an older Viking refridgerator (about 17 years old). It has always
worked perfect. I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange juice and
fresh veggies are freezing! The temp setting is on its lowest in the fridge
and about half way in the freezer.

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this? Is there a vent or
something I can clean? Anything else thats simple? I'd hate to spend $1K
on a new fridge if I can squeeze another few years outta this girl.

bmoney

Steve B.

On Sun, 01 May 2005 19:24:53 GMT, "Hamilton Audio"
wrote:

I've got an older Viking refridgerator (about 17 years old). It has always
worked perfect. I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange juice and
fresh veggies are freezing! The temp setting is on its lowest in the fridge
and about half way in the freezer.

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this? Is there a vent or
something I can clean? Anything else thats simple? I'd hate to spend $1K
on a new fridge if I can squeeze another few years outta this girl.

bmoney

Possibly a thermostat that has gone bad is causing it not to cut off.

Steve B.
udarrell

Possible iced evaporator coils. Defrost circuit may not be working.
Defrost Timer (advance it manually) or heating element, or open defrost
bi-metal stat..
Ice insulates the coils and there is little absorption of heat to lower
temperatures.
When it runs all the time the contents will end up being the temperature of
coil, --which is below freezing.

The evaporator fan may not be working, --hold the door switch closed and
check it.
If it has one, the defrost drain heater may be burnt out, allowing ice to
build up and that's blocking air flow, etc.
Six hundred to 800 should buy a good high efficiency rig.
- udarrell - Darrell
--
Air-Conditioning Manufacturing Companies - "Adding Marketing Values to A/C
Equipment"
"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
I've got an older Viking refrigerator (about 17 years old). It has always
worked perfect. I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange juice and
fresh veggies are freezing! The temp setting is on its lowest in the

fridge
and about half way in the freezer.

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this? Is there a vent

or
something I can clean? Anything else thats simple? I'd hate to spend $1K
on a new fridge if I can squeeze another few years outta this girl.

bmoney

Appliance Repair Aid

Hamilton Audio wrote:
I've got an older Viking refridgerator (about 17 years old). It has

always
worked perfect. I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange juice

and
fresh veggies are freezing! The temp setting is on its lowest in the

fridge
and about half way in the freezer.

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this? Is there a

vent or
something I can clean? Anything else thats simple? I'd hate to

spend $1K
on a new fridge if I can squeeze another few years outta this girl.

bmoney

Hi,

I've got an older Viking refridgerator

Canadian Viking...model# may not help us as most/many Canadian model#s'
are not online

I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange juice and
fresh veggies are freezing!

What is the temp inside the freezer?

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this?

Bad cold control, inefficient refrigeration system ( why we test the FZ
temp ), wrong control settings, light bulb staying on inside confusing
the control....

Check the temps inside and let us know

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Rich256

"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
I've got an older Viking refridgerator (about 17 years old). It has

always
worked perfect. I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange juice and
fresh veggies are freezing! The temp setting is on its lowest in the

fridge
and about half way in the freezer.

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this? Is there a vent

or
something I can clean? Anything else thats simple? I'd hate to spend $1K
on a new fridge if I can squeeze another few years outta this girl.

bmoney

I would try the iced up freezer coil idea first. Where is your freezer? Is
there a fan in the freezer? To defrost you might just turn it off and let
the whole box thaw out.

Stormin Mormon

Since it's cooling, it is repairable. Sounds like needs a cold control. Most
applicance guys can get one, and install it with not much trouble.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
I've got an older Viking refridgerator (about 17 years old). It has always
worked perfect. I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange juice and
fresh veggies are freezing! The temp setting is on its lowest in the fridge
and about half way in the freezer.

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this? Is there a vent or
something I can clean? Anything else thats simple? I'd hate to spend $1K
on a new fridge if I can squeeze another few years outta this girl.

bmoney

Hamilton Audio

Well, I completely emptied the freezer and fridge, disassembled all the
shelves and THOROUGHLY CLEANED the bugger.

I vacuumed a lot of spilled frozen peas (an exploded bag) from inside some
inner vents in the freezer. Let it thaw for a day, re-plugged in and let it
re-cool and now life is good. in fact, its not cold enough on the current
setting anymore

Thanks to those who responded!

bmoney
"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
I've got an older Viking refridgerator (about 17 years old). It has
always worked perfect. I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange
juice and fresh veggies are freezing! The temp setting is on its lowest
in the fridge and about half way in the freezer.

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this? Is there a vent
or something I can clean? Anything else thats simple? I'd hate to spend
$1K on a new fridge if I can squeeze another few years outta this girl.

bmoney

Kenmore refridgerator freezing up Roger Home Repair 8 January 10th 05 08:26 AM
Stove and fridge aluminum wiring extending with copper... Howie Home Repair 13 January 8th 05 04:18 PM
Fridge won't work... Harry Bloomfield UK diy 0 January 7th 05 05:51 PM
Integrated fridge John UK diy 3 April 29th 04 12:08 PM
Fridge freezer annoyance Craig Graham UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 10:12 PM